Tiny flies

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Been working on a box of tiny midges myself... 20-26... it’s challenging. Takes some patience,but the reward is they are deadly at the right time.....hey its winter ,plenty of time 😊👍🏻
David

trev

Reaction score
I have #22 & #24 in a box that I tied in the late "70s or early '80s., I know that none of them have been used since about 1986. I even tied a few more last fall just to be doing it. And I know I'll never fish them. They simply require too small of a tippet meaning that the fish will either break off or be exhausted.
But Ard is right about where to get the hackle, any good cape will have a few.

philly

Reaction score
I use to be able to tie down to a size 30. These days I might be able to tie a size 20. When I do tie them I use the TMC 2488, since it has a 2X short shank. I don't tie Griffith gnats. So I've never used hackle on my tiny flies. I'll tie in a CDC wing, either back over the body or pointed forward.
This is my go-to midge pattern. This one is tied on a size 20.
FFF Wissakickon Midge (2).jpg

eastfly66

Reaction score
Looking to tie some 28-30 size midges. Where would I find hackle?
I tie & fish dry patterns in that range often (24-30) and I consider hooks up to 22 still a "workable" size and can be fished on most water. I've managed to find some hackle on necks like Ard said and you might take a look at the Whiting 100 packs in the smallest size your shop stocks , I think 24 is as small as they sell them but you might find a few that have 26 size feathers. I've been able to find and hackle a few 24 & 26 but honestly smaller then that I don't think it's worth the time and money to find the feathers and I just go to CDC like the fly philly posted above.

If you do find them and pull it off I'd love to see the pictures though. I would think even with the finest thread if you could get 2-3 turns of hackle the thread would make for too think a body when you tie off ? I'd guess you would omit any type of wing ?

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I'm getting better to size 24 smoke jumpers, and they fish well right now, its midge season but landing anything large isn't really happening for me. They just get off. but I`m not keeping anyway and its catch and release only season.

Stoneflies, and soft hackles coming soon.

ramjet

Reaction score
//Looking to tie some 28-30 size midges. Where would I find hackle?\\

I don't have a good answer for hackle that size. Not trying to put words in your mouth but is the real question how to best float a dry fly that size?

I did some extra small dry fly fishing and found they would float well on smooth water with a little poly yarn or cdc. Smallest dry fly I caught a fish on was a sz 32. The fly was just thread and some cdc fibers that matched a cream colored midge that I'd observed. I would pre tie a couple flies this size onto a length of 8x tippet. And when I wanted to fish them, just tie that tippet to the end of leader. Inelegant but completely functional.

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
On your cape , closest to the top of neck,usually nice size ,other then that theres always the option of “ whitting 100 pack for midges.......but i think for the really small that you seem to be working on i think you would have better options for smaller hackles on a cape at top closer to the neck......

eastfly66

Reaction score
I might be able to find some 30's on him that he will give up if you want ...........

owl.jpg