Tippet Material

trev

Reaction score
details
Of course you can cut off a bad knot, that is why you learned to tie the knots in the first place. When I've bought extruded leaders they have always become knotted in a day or two as I modified them to wind and presentation, the ability to cut stuff off and retie it is probably why I never adapted to loops on fly lines.

Acheron

Reaction score
Question for the fishermen who create their own tapered leaders: are you not worried about adding more failure points to your connection to the fly?

I know some guys that use 5 pieces of mono/flourocarbon tied together and that's quite a set of knots there that they have to tie.
I often start the year off with a new leader and through the year rebuild it using tippet material using the triple surgeons join. I do not worry about it being a weak point having caught lots of large fish using it.

To your original post, I will use straight 20lb BassPro or Stren Big Game, sold on those giant spools for level leaders for big fish that don't care like pike and salmon. It' smuch cheaper and works great, the stiffness is excellent for big flies.