Tippet rings

ryc72

Reaction score
the tippet rings usually come on a clip of some kind. Thread the outer most ring with your leader (I usually cut back the leader to where it tapers). Then take the tippet ring off the clip. Then tie on tippet and fly. Then you’re good to go and ready to go fishing. I normally go a whole season with one leader. I could probably go longer but I normally change leaders at the beginning of the new year.

rob bishline

Reaction score
I keep them on a safety pin or a snap swivel . I’ll tie my tippet on open the pin and slide it off ready to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trev

Reaction score
I just keep them on the safety pin and tie a knot, my tippet rings have lasted a long time this way.

ddb

Reaction score
Its all in the packaging I guess. The rings I got came loose in a plastic baggie -- no swivel device -- and they are 1.5 mm so needles in a safety pin take up most of the hole space.

For now, I'm settling on a fine wire loop to hold them with the wire ends held together by vise grips while tying them onto a leader and then twisted together while in storage to prevent the damn things from spilling all over. Magnet on an extending rod at the ready, if the plan fails.

Now I've got to get them onto the wire...

All the words I learned from my DI are coming back to me.

ddb

JoJer

Reaction score
Or, even easier, and for me a "Buy Local", I buy the leaders with the rings on them.

bumble54

Reaction score
I generally fit them to the leaders at home, but, if I do want to take some with me I thread them individually to loops of 8lb nylon and slip the loops onto a key ring, I take those in a zip lock bag to keep them clean. The loop helps when it comes to tightening the knot and the rings don't spill all over the ground as they used to.

ddb

Reaction score
bumble45,

I believe you just fixed my problem.

Now, what do you charge for threading the damn things onto the mono? (grin)

Actually, I can probably do it as long as I lay off coffee for a few days in advance, down a few tranquilizing libations, and and make sure my better half is two floors up and can't hear me.

Thanks
ddb

ddb

Reaction score
bumble45,

I knew this site would come through!

Actually, I can probably do it as long as I lay off coffee for a few days in advance, down a few tranquilizing libations, and and make sure my better half is two floors up and can't hear me.

Thanks
ddb

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
I keep them on a safety pin or a snap swivel . I’ll tie my tippet on open the pin and slide it off ready to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tie the swivel onto a piece of backing or running line and loop that to my vest. Never lost one yet!

bumble54

Reaction score
bumble45,

Thanks
ddb
A lot of patience and a strong magnifier with light, :LOL:that's why I do it at home and not on the bank.
Put the rings into a dish, that way they don't spread around the room, wet your finger to pick them up.