Tips for Big Trout.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like sight fishing large fish in water barely over ankle deep, meh. I'd be way more interested if the water were 3 to 4 foot deep and there was some actual technique involved.

Yep, I said that.

zesto

Reaction score
I
Looks like sight fishing large fish in water barely over ankle deep, meh. I'd be way more interested if the water were 3 to 4 foot deep and there was some actual technique involved.

Yep, I said that.
I think the water is a lot deeper than ankle deep, at least 3 feet or more, as the clarity makes it seems a lot less. I remember once fishing a very remote back blocks pristine, headwater small river that looked about three feet deep and when I tried to cross it I was immediately submerged up to my chin. Freezing cold too.

Those big brown trout are pretty wary so you definitely have to have some, "actual technique" to hook and land them.

goofnoff1

Reaction score
As I said recently, the number one rule for catching fish is going where there's lots of fish. New Zealand certainly covers that rule.

ghostrider408

Reaction score
When hunting large fish... Some of the readings and personal experiences I've learned through the years is this... fish areas where others have not fished, fish when others are not fishing, and don't be afraid to fish flies and techniques that are "outside the box." Large fish, regardless of species, are attainable if one thinks in a different manner and angling approach that others do not think of or put in the time to figure out.

ghostrider408

Reaction score
Your personal best or trophy for your fishery can be measured in a lot of different ways. Technique used, pressure on the fishery in relation to what you believe is an above average fish, and your time on the water to experiment. Big fish are there, it just takes thinking a little differently to connect with them. Think about what everyone else is doing on a day to day basis and then do things differently and at different times and different weather patterns to truly understand your quarry's behavior and nuances.