Tips for high wind

bigspencer

Reaction score
All the previous....plus maybe:

1) Go upstream and use a downstream presentation? ..or an across presentation(HaHa!..a reason to practice it!!). ANYTHING to get closer. The wind is creating chop so trout often lose some/most of their window. ..But don't forget to wade stealthfully...just because the wind makes it seem like a zoo above water.

2) Have a hand-tied/pre-fab leader on hand where you've kept its diameter-to-tippet a little heavier...for as long as possible.

3) Pull Out that size heavier WF line on its dedicated spool. Takes a little adjustment in one's controlling the loop...ie don't put a ton of pressure on the top section of your rod...but you never know when you'll need it..till you realize you don't have it. *As many know...different brand lines = different weights, so try picking up that lighter line, that isn't so heavy, in the next size up..in a WF. If your reel spool has capacity issues, simply up off some of its running line and substitute backing = saves you a lot of room.

4) Go heavier in the leader but put on an emerger. Think you'll find that just as many trout will be cruising around, looking for those that are swimming to get to the surface film. On windy days...trout aren't going to clue in as much on wing height..so often the fly's impression = body & tails are what sells...ie Use a less wind-resistent tie...don't worry about anything sparesely tied, trout will see it if its impression looks close to the natural.

Last edited:

bigspencer

Reaction score
Gee I already answered....which, I guess, brings in the additional option of SHUT UP STEVE..Already! ...

Most insect eaters, on windy days, will forego putting the effort into taking anything that has gotten out of the surface film...fwiw...which, on a windy day doesn't take much effort! ...BUT having said that...I'd go anywhere where I wouldn't be at odds directly with the main avenue of the wind, which means wading stealthfully or paddling then anchoring up & across wind. However remember where the lineup of fish, for dinner, will start....ie where is the food coming from...? Figure that out and one can often find a good vantagepoint. Heavy wind produces chop, thus blocking the fish's window from clear sight.

$.01

Deceiver01

Reaction score
I agree, the downward forward cast is helpful, same for heavier lines and leaders. I've also found, when the wind is coming from my right, having the ability to double haul in both directions means I can simply turn around and make back casts. Along with being able to cast in front and behind without moving.

bigspencer

Reaction score
As many, I bet, have said......clean backcast and forceful, accellerated stroke no matter haul or none. Have to tailor your leader taper....but you have to have a really clean loop with power. I can use my strongest stroke with a single haul, but that's just personal. Lots of nice rods out there to throw a long line in the wind. I've stuck with a 5wt = it has some weight yet can slice through gusts rather than push against the air, the way much heavier lines will...and is an easy line to throw. Then, well work on your chuck & duck motions...lol.

Acheron

Reaction score
There's a place I like to go in spring, known for extreme wind. For various reasons the best fishing is when the wind is directly into your face at 20+mph. Here are my tips
  1. If you can position your body better, than that's always #1. This never sesms to be the case though.
  2. Use the wind to load the rod, if possible, then a downward forward cast can be excellent in these conditions. It takes practice and feels different than your standard cast and when you load up a 5wt with this technique you can really shoot it through the wind. The presentation isn't delicate but in the heavy wind it doesn't generally matter. Think of this as a roll cast with the wind loading your rod instead of the water.
  3. Learn to cast over either shoulder, over your head, behind your back, and in every direction possible..with power. Generally a double haul adds distance and power to any of these.
  4. Last but not least....on rivers, sidearm casting is like a poison tipped arrow in your quiver, windy or not. A good, accurate, well executed, sidearm roll cast...ewwww wwhheeee...that's the sticky icky icky.

benglish

Reaction score
Well if money no object....7wt Sage One. I have tried most in that class. It is by far the best. Feels like a 5wt, casts like a dream in the wind.

hatidua

Reaction score
The secret to casting in the wind? -Pretty much the exact same route you take to get to Carnegie Hall.

Practice.