Took the kids fishing

ejsell

Reaction score
My oldest son won our hatchery lottery this year so he got to take me, his two brother's and his grandfather fishing at our rainbow trout hatchery in Castalia. Our fishing slot was from 11:10 am till three and we had a beautiful small crystal clear creek loaded with hungry trout all to ourselves. The rules are catch and keep with a 5 fish limit per person. You are not allowed to throw any back. Being a hatchery loaded with fish hooking up wasn't really an issue but keeping them on with three kids 5, 7 and 9 was a challenge that kept the adults running back and fourth. We stuck to fly fishing only and all three did pretty well casting but most of the fish were large enough that we had to keep one hand on the rod and one on the back of their shirts to keep them both from going in. We finished the day with 22 trout most of which were in the 14-16 range and couple 19"-20". My 5 year old had a couple of bigger ones on that we just couldn't land. Afterwards we spent a few hours cleaning and filleting the trout and had a nice grill out with my wife's family. It was a great day to spend with my kids.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
That is so great. Getting a child into some good fish at such a young age will certainly ruin him/her for life. Spending time with your kids outside and enjoying what mother nature has to offer is truly a gift. Glad you had such a day with them. Goods pics

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Awesome trip report and very clever having only one fish while another nets at a time. Keeps you from having three issues coming at you all at once (barring the "it's my turn" typical stuff). Well done!

B.E.F.

ejsell

Reaction score
Awesome trip report and very clever having only one fish while another nets at a time. Keeps you from having three issues coming at you all at once (barring the "it's my turn" typical stuff). Well done!

B.E.F.
I wish I'd been that clever. He was on his last fish, the other two already had their limits. I was able to take a third adult who wasn't allowed to fish only help so it wasn't too bad at least until my backup rod broke. My youngest was reeling in one of the larger fish and the knob broke off of the reel. I'll give a shout out to LLBean, they've already shipped out a new reel for me and even loaded it with a new fly line since I originally bought it as a complete outfit.

redmoon

Reaction score
Yeah, get them interested in fishing when they are small....a lifetime of fun awaits them.