Tornado Anchor

tybo11

Reaction score
I have had a lot of different anchors over the years on my drift boat. Spiked Hyde anchor, pyramid style anchor, block style green anchor, etc. all of these anchors have been in the 30-35lb range.

I guide on the Madison and Yellowstone rivers and one of the guys I guide with told me about a new anchor that recently came out. The anchor consists of a series of rotating steel plates (no lead) that are able to provide a lot of surface area and rotate to grab the uneven river bottom.

My buddy swore by it and I was not really impressed with the anchor I was using at the time, a 30lb, block style Green Anchor.

This new anchor is called the Tornado Anchor and I went ahead and bought one, a 34lber.

I was recently able to use it on the Yellowstone and I was impressed. It is very “grabby” and stops my boat better than any previous anchor I have had. It’s the best anchor I have ever run on my boat.

I normally wouldn’t write a post about anchors, you would think they would all work about the same, but the Tornado Anchor is legit and I was really impressed. I highly recommend it.

osseous

Reaction score
This large-ish fly fisherman loves his~ I made the same switch from a 30 lb Green. At the same time, I added one of these:

Made as much difference as the Tornado. My Cat finally holds

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

tybo11

Reaction score
I run the Zigco pulley as well. Between that and the Tornado, I’m pretty happy with my anchor system right now.

jdangler1

Reaction score
I also have recently purchased a Tornado Anchor & fully agree tybo11, it stops my Eddy a lot better than my previous anchors, no tumbling along the bottom trying to catch on something.

tybo11

Reaction score
No problem at all.. If I am continually getting my line tangled around my anchor, I have bigger issues going on than what anchor I am running.

row jimmy

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about me getting my line tangled, but when I'm guiding out of my raft when the Smith gets low I think it could be a problem for the dude in the back seat. They seem to get tangled on my green pyramid and it's pretty clean!