Tributaries for Coho

RAVC

Reaction score
I only know of a few well-known Lake Michigan tributaries for Salmon. My son wants to get into fishing for King Salmon and I would really like to catch a few Coho. While I do want some for taxidermy, a brilliant red Coho for example, I also want to ensure we get some fresh fish to smoke so I need to ensure they are early run.

jjcm

Reaction score
The Platte has a strong run of coho and the Betsie has a strong run of kings. The crowds are usually a lot but the rivers are so close to each other that it seems like you might be able to target both. The runs don't necessarily coincide that way, but it's possible to find fish in both rivers somewhat around the same time. Finding that perfect fish can be a time investment.

RAVC

Reaction score
Thank you for this. I certainly know of the Bestsie. I worked with a couple of guys that fished it frequently because they emphasize King's. I know the Platte as well but have never fished it. Both locations are a good 4h drive for me so more than a mere day trip. I think we all want that slice of paradise that directly opposes the crowds.

RAVC

Reaction score
Let's complicate this - in an enjoyable way. What would you tell me if I now considered the UP? Please restrict your response to locations east of Route 41, or Marquette.

jjcm

Reaction score
I would like to know more about the UP too. Going up there to pursue brook trout has been a plan long on the back burner. Steam fishing or coaster brookies like at Isle Royal. The furthest north that I have ventured for fishing is the Boyne/Petoskey area.

RAVC

Reaction score
I think the Two-Hearted and Fox (?) rivers are good for trout but I do not know much about the UP. I know of Isle Royal because my neighbor (when I was growing up) was high up in the Boy Scouts so he was involved in their annual trip to Isle Royal. I never considered this as a destination before your comment. Since I live In Michigan I guess I need to change my priorities!