Trident Fly Line Shootout

jjcm

Reaction score
Just a small point but the Andro lines are 1.5 heavier than AFTMA - "Overweighted by 1.5 sizes to assist in turning over heavy rigs" from the SA site.
I've been using these in 7/8/9wt for my cold saltwater fishing and they allow you to throw clousers and biggish flies as well as mend. You can carry a lot of line in the backcast due to the taper. For me they are great lines but I wouldn't be using them in the smaller sizes for dry fly fishing.

As for dry fly lines I like the Snowbee lines that I think you can get in the USA now? The XS Hyfloat lines are very popular over here in the UK and are half the cost of SA/RIO lines. I'll be trying their Thistledown line this season too.
The Anadro is a pretty good line. I've used one for two seasons now.

I have a new rod on its way to fill a spot my quiver where with the rod I previously paired with the Anadro was. Thus, Anadro is on my mind today. In their promoting the Anadro line, SA emphasizes stillwater indy fishing and large river nymphs and streamers. I do use the line for nymph/indy fishing and it is functional, there is not a problem with it, but my focus is generally not stillwater nor in habits that have room for overhead casting. Generally that is the case, however, I'm starting to find myself in places where line carry capability and distance is needed too. With the rods I've used Anadro on previously, I felt another line could be more suitable for carrying line airborne at distance. And with close quarter rivers, the question is there as to if something else is more optimal for long roll casts and single hand spey casts that turn over heavy rigs and mending.

Been looking at Rio's Trout/Steelhead Indicator to serve one purpose and musing over its potential. Thinking about an overhead distance line too. Rio Outbound has come to mind as something to try. I have used shooting heads but not very much while overhead casting. Trying to think about options that are not shooting heads too.

brownbass

Reaction score
I know it is an old revived thread, Bill. And, for what it is worth, my SKY #6 fishes great with Gold.
At the time I purchased the Douglas DFX I wasn't positive what line I wanted and the salesperson at the shop suggested the MPX. As much as I actually use the rod, which is seldom and only on lakes and when Smallmouth fishing the MPX works Ok but I have been considering the SA Smooth Infinity.