trip change suggestions

JDR

Reaction score
Next week (October 19th - ) I was planing to go to the Outer Banks for a week of fishing. With Hurricane Mathew leaving a mess in its wake, it looks like the area I wanted to visit (Frisco, Ocracoke) will be closed for the immediate future. I would still like to go somewhere to fish, though it doesn't have be saltwater. I would appreciate any suggestions for a change of venue. I have looked at the Front Range in Colorado and Northern Michigan on the map. But I have no experience in either locale. Since it seems to be at the end of the season in these areas, any information and/or suggestions (including other destinations) will be appreciated.

rusty 54

Reaction score
In Michigan several nice rivers are still open,including most of the Ausable and much of the Manistee although it is mostly all catch and release right now. They are also salmon and steelhead fishing, mostly on the west side. Can't tell you much about that,though.

Michigan DNR website will be helpful

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The Orvis fly fishing blog has a good article on the Gunnison river in CO.

Photos: Fall on Colorado's Gunnison River - Orvis News

Also the Oct/Nov issue of Fly Fisherman has a great article on fishing the Rio Grande river, CO.

You might also like to read thru these posts on the Gunnison, if your interested in fishing that area of CO.:
The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Search Results

Then if you truly want to learn more on the Gunnison area you might pick up a copy of Doug Dillinham's book "Fly Fishing Guidebnook to the Gunnison Valley".
https://www.gunnisonflyfish.com