Trip report-father & son in Bighorns

gbrooker

Reaction score
A number of forum members were very helpful in suggesting the Bighorn mountains for a trip for my 11 year old son and me last July. As Minnesotans I wanted something closer than 17 hours. It was a great suggestion. Not the absolute best western fishing I've ever had, but it was perfect for getting Charlie into a bunch of fish.

On the way out we had to make the obligatory stop in the Badlands.
MVIMG_20190719_090431 by John Berg, on Flickr

The Fly Shop of the Bighorns in Sheridan has a great logo.
MVIMG_20190726_113607 by John Berg, on Flickr

This was our home for the next week. At 9,000 feet we were a little dizzy the first morning. Also had a bull moose run right through our campsite.
MVIMG_20190726_073334 by John Berg, on Flickr

My little trout ninja
MVIMG_20190720_161448 by John Berg, on Flickr

He did so well on little brookies here. This was the trip where everything came together for him. Casting, setting the hook, and landing fish after fish.
MVIMG_20190725_133913 by John Berg, on Flickr

MVIMG_20190720_182222 by John Berg, on Flickr

Small streams, lots of willow and way too many of these for peace of mind:
MVIMG_20190724_153040 by John Berg, on Flickr

However, there are also lots of these:
MVIMG_20190721_173600 by John Berg, on Flickr

MVIMG_20190722_171522 by John Berg, on Flickr

Every day we drove down and back up at least 2,000 feet in elevation to fish but this is a stunning part of creation.
MVIMG_20190724_203821 by John Berg, on Flickr

We both struggled a bit with the pocket water but what a setting!
MVIMG_20190723_164807 by John Berg, on Flickr

I only found "bigger" cutties on one stream. Charlie was cleaning up on little fish on other water but the heavily pressured fish were eluding him. On our second to last day, as we navigated around all the cursed willows and shouted "here moose" every 20 seconds, the bank gave way under his feet. He fell backward, head first into three foot deep water. His feet were sticking straight up. By the time I got to him he had righted himself. Through tears and sobs the only thing he said was, "where's my rod?" The pride of an angler father seeing his son become a true angler is a powerful thing. But I was jumping the gun. The real moment would happen 15 minutes later.

Wet and cold, he shook it all off and made a beautiful cast to land this 16 inch cutthroat. That half an hour was worth the drive from Minnesota!
MVIMG_20190724_173608 by John Berg, on Flickr

flafly14

Reaction score
That's fantastic! Best part was reading about the little man getting back in the game after taking that header. I bet he'll be able to draw on that lesson in the future.

gbrooker

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comments. It was a great week. I'm having fun planning our next trip right now.

pickadrake

Reaction score
Great report! Nothing like having a life long angling partner :thmbup:

cpiercem

Reaction score
Outstanding outing! Good to see some covering up to hide from the sun too. At least I assume that the bandana was for the sun or bugs.

Both of you will cherish that adventure for a lifetime.

LePetomane

Reaction score
Very nice account of your trip. I am about 1 1/2 hours from where you were. I hope you and your family are safe from all of the chaos in your area.

nawagner

Reaction score
I somehow missed your report previously. Great trip and glad you both enjoyed it. Awesome pictures and you'll both remember that trip for a long time. It is strange, cause I've been told, and tell everyone there are no fish in WY, especially the in Bighorns!