Trip Report: Somewhere In Colorado

myt1

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get away for a few days during the middle of the week this past October 6-10.

It was a long drive, over 600 miles each way, but I needed a break from the hot weather; I left triple digit temps and I subsequently returned to them after my trip. Temps that were in the low 20's at night and which only climbed to the low 70's, if that, during the day were a very welcome relief.

I arrived early Tuesday afternoon and after setting up camp I decided to take a whack at the quarter mile stretch of river between my campsite and a reservoir above. Seeing how the shoreline immediately upstream of my campsite was pretty crowded with spinning fishers, I wasn't all that optimistic about my prospects. All I had to do though was go one hole upstream of them and I had the remaining section of the river to myself.

In the two hours I fished I managed 5 fish, these are huge numbers for me, and I even managed a brown trout on my way back to camp in the same hole that was being hammered by the spin fishers a little earlier. Sadly, numbers wise, this was to prove to be my biggest day.

IMG_1779.JPGIMG_1770.JPG
Since I was going to be staying-put, rather than changing camps every day or so, I decided to setup a tent instead of sleeping in the back of my truck. I was very comfortable using my space heater to warm things up in the morning and my backpacking stove to make coffee before venturing out of my tent around 8 AM.

IMG_1773.JPGIMG_1778.JPGIMG_1776.jpgIMG_1775.jpg

The next three days were spent fishing downstream of my campsite, sometimes considerably downstream, as much as two miles, including more than a little bushwhacking.

Saying I didn't kill it is pretty accurate. I only managed three fish days. But with one exception, a 12 incher, the other fish I caught were all in the 16-17 inch range and they were all beautiful fish.

I was nymph fishing, but in hindsight I think I if I were to do it over again I might try a huge dry fly, maybe something with foam, and then hang a couple of nymphs below that. I had at least two fish attack my indicator and a couple more give it a keen eye.

Speaking of indicators, the first day I used an air-lock and the other two days I used a Dorsey Indicator. Although I didn't catch any more fish with the Dorsey, I felt as long as it was floating above the water, and not soaked like a wet dish rag, I had much more feel with it. It does take some work though to keep it floating, and casting it can be a real pain at times as well.

Back to my 2-3 fish days: I don't think I landed a quarter of the fish I hooked. I seem to have some real issues setting the hook. My take on it is I fish with way too much line out and when I go to set the hook the fish is so far away I just pull the hook out of it's mouth. I'm not really getting the upward and sideways pull that I feel I need. I would appreciate some advise here.

Anyway, it was a great get away and I had ball.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. A few days after I returned Phoenix set a record for the most consecutive days with triple digit temps, 144 days. I wish I was kidding.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get away for a few days during the middle of the week this past October 6-10.

It was a long drive, over 600 miles each way, but I needed a break from the hot weather; I left triple digit temps and I subsequently returned to them after my trip. Temps that were in the low 20's at night and which only climbed to the low 70's, if that, during the day were a very welcome relief.

I arrived early Tuesday afternoon and after setting up camp I decided to take a whack at the quarter mile stretch of river between my campsite and a reservoir above. Seeing how the shoreline immediately upstream of my campsite was pretty crowded with spinning fishers, I wasn't all that optimistic about my prospects. All I had to do though was go one hole upstream of them and I had the remaining section of the river to myself.

In the two hours I fished I managed 5 fish, these are huge numbers for me, and I even managed a brown trout on my way back to camp in the same hole that was being hammered by the spin fishers a little earlier. Sadly, numbers wise, this was to prove to be my biggest day.

View attachment 26951View attachment 26952
Since I was going to be staying-put, rather than changing camps every day or so, I decided to setup a tent instead of sleeping in the back of my truck. I was very comfortable using my space heater to warm things up in the morning and my backpacking stove to make coffee before venturing out of my tent around 8 AM.

View attachment 26955View attachment 26956View attachment 26957View attachment 26959

The next three days were spent fishing downstream of my campsite, sometimes considerably downstream, as much as two miles, including more than a little bushwhacking.

Saying I didn't kill it is pretty accurate. I only managed three fish days. But with one exception, a 12 incher, the other fish I caught were all in the 16-17 inch range and they were all beautiful fish.

I was nymph fishing, but in hindsight I think I if I were to do it over again I might try a huge dry fly, maybe something with foam, and then hang a couple of nymphs below that. I had at least two fish attack my indicator and a couple more give it a keen eye.

Speaking of indicators, the first day I used an air-lock and the other two days I used a Dorsey Indicator. Although I didn't catch any more fish with the Dorsey, I felt as long as it was floating above the water, and not soaked like a wet dish rag, I had much more feel with it. It does take some work though to keep it floating, and casting it can be a real pain at times as well.

Back to my 2-3 fish days: I don't think I landed a quarter of the fish I hooked. I seem to have some real issues setting the hook. My take on it is I fish with way too much line out and when I go to set the hook the fish is so far away I just pull the hook out of it's mouth. I'm not really getting the upward and sideways pull that I feel I need. I would appreciate some advise here.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. A few days after I returned Phoenix set a record for the most consecutive days with triple digit temps, 144 days. I wish I was kidding.
Premature evacuation. Slow down just a bit. Could be more line? If you aren't getting a gentle hook up you are trying too hard. As Richard Brautigan once said about tarpon on a fly...
It should be about Immediate Unreality. That moment when you connect. Where the magic is.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I enjoyed your trip report and the great photos, thanks for sharing.
You really need to come up and fish with us next year.

dswice

Reaction score

View attachment 26951View attachment 26952

View attachment 26955View attachment 26956View attachment 26957View attachment 26959

Thanks for reading.

Enjoyed hearing about your trip to CO and glad you found some cooler weather. Can't imagine 144 consecutive days of 100+. Also, some of your pictures showed trees that looked burned. Has that area had a fire in recent years?

myt1

Reaction score
Enjoyed hearing about your trip to CO and glad you found some cooler weather. Can't imagine 144 consecutive days of 100+. Also, some of your pictures showed trees that looked burned. Has that area had a fire in recent years?
Yes, although I don't know exactly when. I'm guessing with in the last 2-5 years.

There was even a sign posted warning that you are entering a burn area and flash floods and rock slides could be imminent.

I really didn't see that as a possibility, but that was the first time I had ever seen a sign like that.

myt1

Reaction score
Premature evacuation. Slow down just a bit. Could be more line? If you aren't getting a gentle hook up you are trying too hard. As Richard Brautigan once said about tarpon on a fly...
It should be about Immediate Unreality. That moment when you connect. Where the magic is.
"Premature evacuation"

Yeah, you must've been talking to my wife.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that's a nice camp setup! I do it the same way but with a 12 X 12 outfitter that I can stand up inside. The cot with a thermarest on it is as good as the bed at home! I spotted the rug / mat on the floor too, I do the same thing and it's great in the morning to have the feet hit rug instead of cold tent floor. I've been toughing it out without a space heater but intend to have one for next fall. This year I found a real gem, a dry cabin with heat for $50 / day and it's 2 miles from the river I've been fishing. Next year I may go back to the tent or book the cabin for ten days and commute.

I also liked the 'Somewhere' title Rick :)

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I as well appreciate the Somewhere in the title. I know that somewhere😉 Recognize those mountains.

del gue

Reaction score
I live in Florida, regrettably, for the next few years, anyway, until my father who is 96 passes, then I'm moving to Montana. I can **fully** appreciate the desire, nay, need to go somewhere with some cool weather for a while. That's why I usually spend a couple weeks out in Montana/Wyoming in the late summer. The heat and humidity here is ridiculous.

I used to camp in low tents, 3 1/2 season jobs, but then I got old and got tired of getting dressed/undressed laying down, so I got a Big Agnes tent I could stand up in, with enough room to put a folding camp chair on a grass doormat inside. I sleep on the tent floor in a Big Agnes Elk Park rated to -20 and am very comfy. I have to mail or fly my camp gear out West, so I take less gear than you do. No heater...get up and get dressed in the 20's or low 30's...no biggie.

I could drive about the same distance you drive, which would put me in the Smokies, but I prefer the West.

Your tent interior looks very comfy and homey! Glad you got to cooler weather and to some fine fishing for a while. Trips like that preserve your sanity after dealing with the heat.

Great story, and fine pics! Good job, and thanks for sharing!

pickadrake

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics! I also like the 'somewhere' reference.......more people should follow this lead