TROLLING MOTOR RUN TIME - MINN KOTA TURBO 65 36LB THRUST.

NJfishkeeper

Reaction score
Wiring batteries in series will increase the voltage but not the capacity.

Wiring in parallel will increase the capacity, not the voltage.
so i would need to wire them in series and the total of the 2 will still only been 210? correct ? so if my trolling motor pulls 29 amps 210 divided by 29 is about 7.2. is that the run time i would get ?

Chasing_Tails

Reaction score
so i would need to wire them in series and the total of the 2 will still only been 210? correct ? so if my trolling motor pulls 29 amps 210 divided by 29 is about 7.2. is that the run time i would get ?
There is a lot more that goes into it beyond just dividing the amp draw by the stated battery capacity.

Lead acid/AGM's discharge energy in a very different manner than a lithium. A lead acid/AGM will have a steady voltage decrease as it discharges. This will continually cause a decrease in power of the trolling motor over time. Also, once a lead acid/AGM drops below 50% capacity the available voltage can severely limit the maximum the output power of the motor. Another factor is voltage sag. When discharging a lead acid/AGM at a higher discharge amperage the voltage will decrease faster and cause a loss of motor power, even when the battery is still at a high capacity This voltage can recover once the discharge is reduced, but will sag again once the discharge is resumed again. General rule, you will not get to use the entire capacity of lead acid/AGM battery. As you use the battery the motor will continue to lose power which gives you an idea that the battery is getting low.

A lithium on the other hand has a much flatter voltage decrease curve even with higher discharge rates. Voltage sag is limited. You can utilize 100% capacity. A caveat is that when the battery voltage drops off, it drops off a cliff and the motor will no longer function at all. There is no significant loss of power prior to full discharge so you have to monitor the battery capacity more carefully.

From the sounds of it you'll be using your trolling motor as a primary form of propulsion in a similar manner as I do and running at a higher discharge for longer. Other than it got me on the water until the lithium I wanted came back into stock, the AGM was a waste of money.

This is what it powers:
38E3A55B-6267-4B67-8C28-6CA7DF9C67D2 (1).JPEG

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Yep. 7.2 hours. There are variables but that's the math. You may consider a pulse width modulator for that 5 speed to conserve power.

NJfishkeeper

Reaction score
There is a lot more that goes into it beyond just dividing the amp draw by the stated battery capacity.

Lead acid/AGM's discharge energy in a very different manner than a lithium. A lead acid/AGM will have a steady voltage decrease as it discharges. This will continually cause a decrease in power of the trolling motor over time. Also, once a lead acid/AGM drops below 50% capacity the available voltage can severely limit the maximum the output power of the motor. Another factor is voltage sag. When discharging a lead acid/AGM at a higher discharge amperage the voltage will decrease faster and cause a loss of motor power, even when the battery is still at a high capacity This voltage can recover once the discharge is reduced, but will sag again once the discharge is resumed again. General rule, you will not get to use the entire capacity of lead acid/AGM battery. As you use the battery the motor will continue to lose power which gives you an idea that the battery is getting low.

A lithium on the other hand has a much flatter voltage decrease curve even with higher discharge rates. Voltage sag is limited. You can utilize 100% capacity. A caveat is that when the battery voltage drops off, it drops off a cliff and the motor will no longer function at all. There is no significant loss of power prior to full discharge so you have to monitor the battery capacity more carefully.

From the sounds of it you'll be using your trolling motor as a primary form of propulsion in a similar manner as I do and running at a higher discharge for longer. Other than it got me on the water until the lithium I wanted came back into stock, the AGM was a waste of money.

This is what it powers:
View attachment 36568
thats an awesome little kayak, i was interested in those. i have a perception pescador pro 10.0 right noe that i need to paddle. i love that kayak, super stable for me, but im looking for a second one that i can pedal. so i really want the new old town sportsmen 120 pdl. but i just bought my boat so I need to wait at least a year or so. how do you like the auto pilot?

Chasing_Tails

Reaction score
thats an awesome little kayak, i was interested in those. i have a perception pescador pro 10.0 right noe that i need to paddle. i love that kayak, super stable for me, but im looking for a second one that i can pedal. so i really want the new old town sportsmen 120 pdl. but i just bought my boat so I need to wait at least a year or so. how do you like the auto pilot?
it is an awesome craft to fish from. I have been a kayak angler going on 21 years (paddle and pedal). Pretty much refined fishing from the kayak, but moving to the Autopilot was a complete change. The increase in range, speed, stability, and the ability to use spotlock to hold position without anchoring provides much more capability. I fish by myself the majority of the time and find kayaks easier to work out of compared to a larger boat or skiff. The motor in deeper water works great and I can easily raise it and draft a few inches for working the flats.

The only real limitation is speed (4.2mph max).