trolling motors

Max L

Reaction score
who makes a good trolling motor, looking for a 12volt, 55ln electric, bow mount for my mud boat
reviews are all over the map

anyone with an opinion? on a good one that isn't junk

Reaction score
minnkota trolling motors have been around a long time. When I lived in Minnesota I owned two or three of them. No problems.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I have a minn kota 40lb. The handle pulled off the first time out. So I went to the dealer and pulled the handle off every display model. They're as cheap as they can come from capitalists. I cut out the plastic collet retainer and installed a positive stop via a screw in the appropriate spot to prevent the handle from coming off unexpectedly. I won't buy another one. I'll buy someone else's piece of shit next time and mod it. Don't expect much.

joe_strummer

Reaction score
I run a Minn Kota Riptide Terrova 12v/55#. Previous boat had the freshwater Terrova. There are has to be 10x the hours on my TM as on my outboard, not to mention thousands of highway miles riding installed in the stowed position. No problems with the unit though I did have one of my remotes get water in and fry.

osseous

Reaction score
Cheap from "capitalists"? Ever ridden in a Lada or Yugo?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Max L

Reaction score
same thing I have been reading about on reviews,
mostly seem like expensive junk all the way around, if you go to bass pro and read the comments they all seem bad
that riptide seems to have some that are good others not so good

has anyone ever run a rhodan, they are expensive but haven't heard the horror stories

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I use a minnkota on my pontoon. Two trips out it fell off the back in white caps (luckily near shore-and it was my fault for a lazy mounting job). Not sure how long it was submerged but a couple min at least, water was draining out of the top. A week later I connected it to my battery not expecting much and it cranked right up no problems. That was a month or so ago, still going strong now. (And I don’t baby it either)

Bonesonthebrain

Reaction score
Had a tiller model MK 80 lb on my old boat, 2009 model, guy in my neighborhood bought the boat from me, still going strong. Have a 2015 Ipilot Riptide and a 2015 Ulterra, both 80 lb and both with no issues, guess mine did not come from capitalists. Also have not tried yanking them apart.

Do know multiple people that had the electronic board go out, I always unplug when charging, believe that is the culprit for others with the board going out.