Trout closest to Pittsburgh?

jayr

Reaction score
No hot spotting or wanting to know your honey hole, but from Pittsburgh how far is decent trout fishing?

My son has moved to Pittsburgh and a trip up there may be happening next year. Likely I would fly up as the drive is long and not easy coming from Knoxville. If I were to take some gear I need to know time length and distance. North, south, east or west? Just a general idea of which direction to head, I can figure out the rest. Mainly looking for bluelines as opposed to tailwaters but will take what I can get.

PM's are fine too.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Upstate08

Reaction score
I’m not an expert on the area but I’d look northward up towards Titusville, northeast into the Allegheny forest area (beautiful up in there) or eastward towards State College. Plenty of good fishing through that part of the state. Enjoy!

jayr

Reaction score
I'd drive and take along all the gear I might use. 500 miles really isn't that far and you'd have have your vehicle to use.
Thats about the worst 500 miles of driving I can think of. I have driven across the state of WV and I wouldn’t wish that off on my worst enemy, it sucks that bad. Yes, there’s other ways but it’s still a crappy drive.

mike_r

Reaction score
When I lived in North Central Pa, and traveled to Maryville, Tn to visit family, I would take I 81 to Winchester, Va. then get on the Va hwy 37 (basically a bypass west of Winchester) to Hwy 522. Take this through Berkley Springs, WV and across the Potomac river into the narrowest sliver of Maryland. Go north until that flows right into I 70 which takes you to Breezewood, Pa. From there you jump on I 76, PA Turnpike which will take you right to Pittsburgh 123 miles.

I know this is longer than taking I 77, but really is an easy and scenic drive. PA turnpike can be a bear but usually moves well. Not sure if they still have a toll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Likely the Youghiogheny and tributaries, start near Ohiopyle State Park.
I agree with this. The Youghiogheny is an absolutely beautiful river. While I have not actually fished it, I have been Whitewater rafting there twice. I believe it is about 1 hour drive from Pittsburgh. There are other smaller streams nearby as well. Ohiopyle state park is a great place to get away and be out in nature.

GloveMan

Reaction score
Not far from some fun if a bit crowded steelhead streams. I have had 20+ fish days on the Walnut and the Elk.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
When I was in seminary near Pittsburgh, I used to head to Ligonier and fish the Loyalhanna. It's put and take and by no means trophy water, but a pretty drive and handy enough from Pittsburgh to make an easy day trip. While you're there, you can check out an old French and Indian War era fort, and find a good restaurant as the town has a lot of tourism.

One note on fishing is that it gets a little warm in the summer months for trout. I was told there were smallmouth, but never caught any nor did I fish for them.

There was an Orvis shop there at the time, and maybe another fly shop if memory serves. (this was all over a decade ago.)