Trout fishing Vests

dillon

Reaction score
Okay all you vest lovers, which full vest works for you? I’m in the market for a new one. A vest with large pockets for multiple fly boxes and places to keep tools handy but out of the way. I’m looking at Patagonia Master Vest II, but open to other less expensive options, or more expensive, if there’s a better one out there. A review on it would be great! Not interested in minimalism or non vest ideas... Thanks

Acheron

Reaction score
You just missed some discussion on this topic :) Though there are not a lot of suggestions, it's worth a read :D

dillon

Reaction score
You just missed some discussion on this topic :) Though there are not a lot of suggestions, it's worth a read :D

Thanks, I believe I did post in and read most of that thread and I don’t recall many if any specific vests mentioned. I’m looking for the best vest money can buy, not if they are dead or alive...

mike126

Reaction score
I like the Simms guide vest series. I have a Fishpond vest but found the exposed zippers were great at grabbing leaders.

Being tall I wish manufacturers would go back to taller/ longer versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pati

Reaction score
Hi Dillon,

I don't use vests anymore, but if I were, these are the 3-4 I would consider on top of the patagonia you mentioned:

Simms G3 => check out this great review: https://troutbitten.com/2021/01/12/100-day-gear-review-simms-g3-guide-vest/

Filson - If you like the traditionalist feel, I m just fond of their product: they are indestructible -https://www.filson.com/uk/fly-fishing-guide-vest.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgtWDBhDZARIsADEKwgOZbNvy1sAIVAporrH_zctfMQNakWCr0ru9aXqvf5wefP6Kg1VFfmsaAtGWEALw_wcB#sku=11016000-fco-000000151

Field and Fish ==> French maker, a few of my friends LOVE theirs - https://www.fieldandfish.com/boutique/gilet-expert-pro/

Sorguett ==> French maker too, perfect if you deep wade but want to carry a truck load! Totally indestructible - That s what the French fly fishing team was wearing for a loooong time!

jayr

Reaction score
I am a Fishpond vest guy. I have a couple of theirs, forget which ones but look them up. They have pockets and attach points that sold me. Zippered pockets too. Some are mesh which is what I have as they are so much cooler in the summer.

Fishpond has a great warranty as well.

markmark444

Reaction score
Okay all you vest lovers, which full vest works for you? I’m in the market for a new one. A vest with large pockets for multiple fly boxes and places to keep tools handy but out of the way. I’m looking at Patagonia Master Vest II, but open to other less expensive options, or more expensive, if there’s a better one out there. A review on it would be great! Not interested in minimalism or non vest ideas... Thanks
A vote for the Meshmaster 2. I have used it for 5 years I think and have posted about it. The vertical pockets keep things in front, but it is a light vest so I think a couple of medium fly boxes and maybe some dropper rigs around some cardboard are about it for me for fly boxes; once I get past a certain number, the problem is likely me, not having one more fly to do the job. One not mentioned often is the Columbia PFG, it is heavier but Columbia has designed it to very effectively distribute weight over the shoulders so it is very comfortable. Hope you have a good year on the water.

dillon

Reaction score

bevanwj

Reaction score
Top choice. You clearly have good taste. Fishpond have a great range and this reeks of peak performance.
I generally like Fishpond gear too and it bugs me that we no longer have a New Zealand distributor. It used to be Flytackle NZ. I bought a couple of Fishpond items from Australia this season. Mayfly Tackle distribute to Aussie retailers but they don't seem to carry the full Fishpond range.

edreilly

Reaction score
I have used Fishpond vests for probably about 7 years now. I say vests because I have two. One with a basic pocket in the back that lets me put something light in there, for tailgaters, shirt outings, et. The second has a full backpack for all day outings where I need lunch, rain coat, fleece, etc.

The great thing about this set up is that while I can choose which one I want at the beginning of the day/trip I never have to hunt for things because the front and side pockets are exactly the same. So I can keep my eyes on a spot to see how a fish is rising and still reach for my floatant, or my caddis box without looking at my vest.

I have been very happy with this set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro