Truckee, CA.

Bigfly

Reaction score
We have a undue remote release rate because most fishermen set vertically, often just taking the fly away from the fish...... what we call a whiff...
When I have managed to get a client into a fish after hours of fishing.....I really hate that.
If fishers can't vary their set, or override their muscle memory then our stats will be lower.
When fishing straight downstream, If I do a small strip set, I can feel they are on before I really put the hurt on them. If they aren't on, then I didn't take the fly out of the target area...unlike a lift or sweep set.
There are three sets possible, lift, sweep, and strip. Many fishers only know one set and use it in every situation.........my success rate has improved over the years because I too try new things. About the only time I set vertically is when I fish a dry upstream....then, it works fine.

And the reason I fish the Gnat down stream, is because when midges are clumping they do not drift in the bubble line. They fly in a zig zaggy way on the waters surface. I can see it's the way to fish because of the fish rise form. Very assertive and across the current.
My presentation is more life-like by minor skating and animating the fly. Even just letting it dangle.
I do love making a fish eat.
Hope that answer helps your stats....

Jim

Last edited:

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Well Thanks for that! I have never thought of why I do things. Now that I think about it many good fishers have told me what to do and I just have not questioned enough nor tried new things. I need to get out and fish more...

Bigfly

Reaction score
Bob.....
After fishing hard for a long time, I can say it's not possible to get enough time on the water, and there is always more to learn....

Jim

Bigfly

Reaction score
December report!!!
No snow.......
But we have fish.
The Bows are strong and plump. Redding up nicely.
Browns are a little harder to find as always...
Baetis nymphs are a good bet. A sharp eye can find a riser....
Snow coming Sunday, so get after it now.
Wear some warm under the waders, water temp is around 40.
Mid morning is fine.

Jim