truckee river area folks, a question

alfaromeo

Reaction score
lake tahoe will go below the natural rim in a few months....without that water flow from the lake.. were does the truckee river get its water from? donner creek is a very small stream....ground water?

darkshadow

Reaction score
Bear Creek, Squaw Creek, Cabin Creek, Pole Creek, Donner Creek, Trout Creek, Martis Creek, Prosser Creek, the Little Truckee River, Gray Creek, and Bronco Creek and maybe Steamboat Creek?

Not familiar on the aquifer to know if it has springs or groundwater recharge.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
donner creek and little truckee are the main suppliers? little truckee has 2 dams on it, but even these are really low

Bigfly

Reaction score
It's pretty easy....
When Tahoe rims out...
No water until Prosser.
All the upper tribs stopped flowing weeks ago.
Even though there are nice flows upper river now...it's surface release, both Tahoe and Donner..70 deg.
Donner is a trickle.
It will rim out soon enough.
Flows look ok....392cfs, just too warm.
Prosser lake is ok...for a while.
Boca is ok...for a while.
They save us most years, we will see.
Lower trib creeks are a trickle.
They are too low to offset the river temp.
Mainstem below Boca was 64 at dawn today...fishing slows as light hits the water, then.....
We stop.
There is no ground water involved..
Used to be more springs...but golf courses took precedence.

Don't plan on ethically fishing the upper T till late fall/winter.
It's just started to get bad.
We are roughly 2-3 months ahead of season.
I have seen the T dry up twice before, if we leave fish alone, they will find a way to hang.
But there are always guys who hunt fish in a warm trickle...
I hope for state closure.
Pray for clouds......

Everyone needs to reset the time to fish...the good fishing is from Nov, Dec. to Jun.
Summer fishing is not happening this year on the T..
If I can wet wade over my crotch at dawn now, it won't get better soon.
Join the crowds on the LT.
When flows drop below 80cfs, it will get warm as well.

To fish well up here takes work...and locals time...not just a topo.
If you watch the flows and temp from home.
wait for level, steady, and a chilly night. Then attack.
Bring a thermometer and check frequently.

Jim

Last edited:

darkshadow

Reaction score
Jim,

Thanks for all that info. It looks like these conditions are definitely not gonna reverse their course until we begin the wet season again.

I haven't touched a fly rod since I got back from Bozeman, and the trips that i'm usually taking to our local rivers and creeks have been replaced with trips to local lakes, raking largemouth (and smallmouth) from the comfort of some pretty bad bass boats.

When life gives you lemons, you throw buzzbaits at aggressive largies.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Sure....
I would never drive to SoCal to fish without a local report.
I figure you feel the same.
Only amateurs drive to the water only to find bad conditions.
Few things aggravate me more, than to have someone call to see what's good......after they have started up the hill.
I see this a bunch.
Universal fisherman rule #29
Just because you can go fish, doesn't mean ya should.
Fish don't care how much you want to fish, they give it up when it suits them.
Pick and choose for best results.
Look at the flows, look at the weather....the better ya watch, the better ya fish.
This skill may be more difficult to master than all others.
Because mostly...we just Wana fish.

Jim

Last edited:

alfaromeo

Reaction score
i am pretty much done with trout. salmon this year.. no water...and putah creek trout are too smart to catch,,i hope fish and game close down alot of rivers/streams.....save the fish for next year... panfish/ bass are also fun to catch also

Bigfly

Reaction score
i am pretty much done with trout. salmon this year.. no water...and putah creek trout are too smart to catch,,i hope fish and game close down alot of rivers/streams.....save the fish for next year... panfish/ bass are also fun to catch also
Not going to disagree....
Except Putah creek just set the bar. Raise your game there till fish say hi.
Then you can take names on the LT.
At that point you will be ready to raise the bar for the T.
I used to dread Putah, and the LT.....but there were fish there...the T was bereft of fish.
But it all comes together...
Proper fly, perfect drift, mud, and a high sneak factor.
Not fishing like the other guy is huge on a high pressure fishery. Where do they fish, where do they not? What times? Which side? How many drifts?
Try not fishing, and just watching a bunch, how visitors vs. Locals fish it...guides too...
I take binoculars and a beverage, and "bird watch".
Few enjoy being stared at while fishing.. ha
Learned some of my key moves, and some I had to take out of my own game.....
Mainly you learn that if fish know you are trying say hi, they won't.
Limit your drifts....1-2-3 and move. If you have it figured right....it should go on your first drift. If not...why?
I coach never to take more than two steps in row on approach. I do "cloud breaks" in between. Or a bird /bug check. Gotta check....
No waves...
No false casting.
Full fish Ninja.
Now it seems for me, fish aren't as smart as they used to be, or maybe if I've gotten better.
You can too..
Any fish can be caught....some are just harder than others.
But they all gotta eat.
If I'm not catching...it's because of something I'm doing, or not doing.
It dawned on me long ago, if I remove all the stuff I shouldn't do, all that was left was the stuff I should do.
Bingo.

Jim

Last edited:

satyr

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more - 3 casts max and move. I cover a huge amount of river compared to most people because I don't fish for fish that don't want to eat. If they don't come up I move on. I get more exercise this way too but I catch a lot of fish.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Satyr....
I am curious..
How long did it take, for those three drifts?
I am delving deeper into pace these days.....

I have watched casts over drifts ratio, for a long time...
Now I am thinking about DPM drifts per minute. We tend to make many, many drifts...
We are fishing machines, I watch for a living....
I make fewer drifts every year, and do better....
One thing I do, that most guides don't do, is give a refresher walk... If I teach you to fish and you go away for several months...I will walk the water for a couple hrs.
The deal is, I get to fish.....
You will see how to not park on a hole. No pool fixation...

There's fishing, and there is catching......
Pace......

Jim

Last edited:

satyr

Reaction score
Jim, in general I am fishing smaller water than the Truckee, more like the Little Truckee. Generally I am walking the bank and getting into the river to fish only if I need to get nearer the lanes or out from under the bushes/trees although there are times when it is easier just to wade upstream. When I approach a run I will cast to the bottom of it or even the flats at the end first. One or two casts without anything and I will move up to the prime spot. A typical drift is 5 to 10 seconds. If I get a take then I keep fishing until I get my 3 or 4 casts without one then I move. I figure I will cover at least 1/4 mile per hour and it is often a lot more than that. In that I have usually walked a couple miles to get away from where other people fish I will often cover 6 to 8 miles in a day of fishing. If the terrain is rugged I will be pretty beat up by the end of a day. At the same time, I feel like I had a bad day if I catch less than 40 or 50 fish so it is pretty hard to complain. I have been fly fishing since the 80s though so I am almost always fishing dries now days and only switch to fishing streamers or nymphs if nobody is willing to come up, which is pretty rare on the freestone streams that I usually fish.

satyr

Reaction score
Yeah, my normal fishing buddy has learned to hike with me to the starting point and then turn around and fish the opposite direction. He isn't fast enough to stay ahead of me and nobody should have to fish behind me (or anyone else for that matter). We meet back at the car at the end of the day.

And at 70 I haven't really started slowing down yet, it just hurts more than it used to. But I've been a serious rock climber for my whole life and being fit and active sure is paying dividends as I get older. I remember walking out of a canyon (steep uphill) with some guys that I had met on Hat Creek and just happened to run into again. They were mid 20s and I was 35. They were amazed that I could hike uphill with them back then and I am probably faster up hill now. People's expectations are often too low.