Tube Flies;

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi,

If there is one I didn't know, Many of them were just tied hoping they would look good to a fish. Those that I have used caught fish. The ones with the copper bodies have no names but if you say it's a Copper Miner, then it is :)

Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
PM to you John

The tube systems are all sort of brand specific. Personally I find the Pro Tube system very user friendly. With the HMH system you have an outer tube which you tie on - a micro inner tube which serves to catch your jam knot if you rig that way (I do) and then you must manually fix an extension tube to the finished fly / lure.

Way too much messing around for me here.

With Pro Tubes you can simply use a 40mm Flexi Tube - tie directly on it and then trim the built in extension tube to suit your needs.

These Willie Gunn's are a good example of the simplest way to tie a tube fly. That fatter tubing at the rear is the extension that the hook eye will nest in.

The Wilkinson Sunray's here have an added weight that simply slides onto the front / micro tube and the weights provide the flashy silver body as well as sink power.

Notice that there is one fly there with a piece of clear extension tubing on the rear. That one fly is tied on an HMH aluminum tube; same 3 step procedure to get a finished fly that I described above. The Pro Tubes are much easier to create your flies on in my opinion.

Ard

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
John,

Reality is all you need are tubes, a way to hold that in your vise and some sort of weight for them if you want that. You could get away simply with tubes and the pin if you wanted to. I'm assuming of course you have the materials to dress them.

The best tubes I have tried are Pro Tubes. I was happy with Eumer tubes but found them harder to come by and they also required a liner tube. Pro tubes will save you a step. I would recommend those if you are thinking about giving it a whack. MY preference is the Flexitube, you can add the Flexiweight to them real easily if you want a weighted fly.

Pro Tube also has a starter kit, but I believe you need to buy the needle separately. I think the cost is comparable to what you're looking at.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I took my advisement from Jason when I got into this and since I've dabbled with both brands I can tell you he is giving good advice.

Jason, scroll up to see that I was typing at the same time you were :)

fyshstykr

Reaction score
So this-
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tube-Fly-Tying-Starter/dp/B007FMWF9K"]Amazon.com : Pro Tube Fly Tying System Starter Kit - Complete Set of Tubes, Weights and Cone Heads for Tube Fly Fishing Flies : Hmh Tube : Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41qck2y1atL[/ame]

and this, is what you both started with, or use currently?
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SANQ22/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944579862&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B007FMWF9K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01444BQA40MB6SQE97HR"]Amazon.com : Tube Fly Attachment : Fly Tying Equipment : Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@2136zP9J6IL[/ame]

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
John,

I have only the Pro Tube mandrel (the attachment you tie them on) it will work for HMH tubes long as you insert a micro (inner tube) tube into the HMH tubes.

A kit will get things going but once you zero in on a particular pattern or style you will be wanting more of the size tubes & cones etc. that you are using to make them.

flycaster1977

Reaction score
I havnt made the move to actual tubes yet, but i really like the patterns. I cut the point off a mustad 3366 then add a short length of braid or backing for a stinger hook. I know its alot more work that way, but until i get the tube stuff, thats how i do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfglen

Reaction score
You can get some great tubes for tying by just stripping electrical wire. For BIG tube flies, try the smallest aquarium tubing: I make a silverside tube fly by putting a bit of hot melt glue on the outside curved side of the tubing and applying a coat of epoxy into which I sprinkle some glitter. Let it harden, draw in gills, eyes, a stripe on the side and at the front tie some green bucktail along the top with 2 lb mono leaving the buck tail stick out the back and give it another coat of epoxy. A great mackerel fly, it slides up the leader once the fish is hooked and doesn't get chewed up (unless another mackerel grabs it while you're fighting the fish.)

Fkrow

Reaction score
Another source for inexpensive and very tough tubing.

Stop in at your International Truck dealership,,, ask for transmission air line tubing. The tubing is used for air pressure to shift the transmission in their big trucks.

It is black and about 1/8" O.D. and will not get brittle in cold weather. Not at all expensive. It normally comes in coils and with a sink and hot water,,, stretch and it will hold straight.

Regards,
FK

wolfglen

Reaction score
I was just in Hobby Lobby the other day and found some neat very tiny aluminum tubes. Just remember to ream and smooth the end of the tube after cutting it.

Jack

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Real nice!

WHat tube is under all that? I have gotten a little fancier but haven't posted for a long time because I make a lot of handout flies for the season. They tend to be pretty plain. What you are showing there is really neat, how does it work.

sagephreak

Reaction score
Real nice!

WHat tube is under all that? I have gotten a little fancier but haven't posted for a long time because I make a lot of handout flies for the season. They tend to be pretty plain. What you are showing there is really neat, how does it work.
Just a protube pink sparkle tube, this is not a simple tube.
start with hot orange northern bear for head
6 strands pearl CF
2 White Hackle Tips about 2 inches long
pheasant back feather over head
2 Hot Orange Grizzly hackles 1 each side about half inch longer than the white
6 white ostrich fibers tied under for legs *
shrimp pink arctic fox in dubbing loop brushed towards head *
2 wraps pearl palmer chenille *
then pheasant back feather for carapace *
Repeat all steps with asterisk 3 more times, each time making every thing a bit smaller
amazing movement and deadly for steelhead
hope this helps. If not feel free to ask

sagephreak

Reaction score
Ef'n Rory
Originator: Nic Jepson

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

A pair of Prawn tubes