Tucson AZ Fishing Opportunities

whalensdad

Reaction score
I'm considering abandoning winter altogether and moving to Tucson Az, the fly fishing Mecca of the west, NOT! :) What fishing opportunities are there within an hour of Tucson? Something I could do after work at the end of a hot day. On weekends I'd probably drive to the East Verde, Show Low, Oak Creek, etc. I'm looking to find out what would be close enough to do on the spur of the moment.

myt1

Reaction score
I live in the other fly fishing Mecca of the west Not, Phoenix.
I’m not even aware of anything within an hour of where I live.
The other places you mentioned are okay, but my guess is you will become really familiar with the drive to the San Juan.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: o_O

You might as well shoot yourself right now because when you wake up and realize what you did by moving here you will beg for someone to do it for you . Move south of Cortaro Farms rd. and they may anyway .

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Go to or call Dry Creek Outfitters in Tucson and speak to Eric. No need to ask for him; he’s the owner/operator and the sole employee. He’ll be busy, so he might have to put the phone down a couple times to help a customer in the store, but he’ll have some good advice for you.

Eric runs a walk-in closet of a flyshop that’s literally packed with fly-fishing stuff east of Tucson proper, but he has a great selection and knows his fly-fishing. Tell him Rich in Phoenix says hello.

whalensdad

Reaction score
Go to or call Dry Creek Outfitters in Tucson and speak to Eric. No need to ask for him; he’s the owner/operator and the sole employee. He’ll be busy, so he might have to put the phone down a couple times to help a customer in the store, but he’ll have some good advice for you.

Eric runs a walk-in closet of a flyshop that’s literally packed with fly-fishing stuff east of Tucson proper, but he has a great selection and knows his fly-fishing. Tell him Rich in Phoenix says hello.
Thanks, I sent him an email before I created this orignal post. I'm awaiting his response, but based on what I've seen above, I'm not feeling optimistic.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Thanks, I sent him an email before I created this orignal post. I'm awaiting his response, but based on what I've seen above, I'm not feeling optimistic.
I am dead serious with what I posted before . If you can retire to anyplace else it would be better fishing , hell even Yuma , az . It at least has the Colorado river . Phoenix has all the canals one can fish and Tucson , we have no water and crime and we are a fkn sanctuary city . We have the worst road system of any city I have been in . Phoenix at least has a decent system to get around . We have the 1-10 and thats it . Do your homework really well before you commit to this shit hole , I wish I had .

Last edited:

swanny66

Reaction score
Also live in Tucson. The fishing is up north a few hours which is why I haven't hit a stream since moving here. Too far to risk wasting a weekend running into fishing pressure.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
One can not advise what isn't here .

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I used to do one day burners to the rim streams when I was younger but a 16 hour day including the 4 hour drive back to tucson is too much for me now. That's the shortest, best fishing and driving trip you can do imo. It takes the same amount of time to hit the show low area streams. Either way getting from the southwest desert to and above the arizona rim requires lots of mtn to go over. You and your vehicle gets a workout.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I used to do the same thing but quit when my fishing partner got married . Something abut a ring causes most mens nuts to fall off .

stenacron

Reaction score
I'm considering abandoning winter altogether and moving to Tucson Az, the fly fishing Mecca of the west, NOT! :) What fishing opportunities are there within an hour of Tucson? Something I could do after work at the end of a hot day. On weekends I'd probably drive to the East Verde, Show Low, Oak Creek, etc. I'm looking to find out what would be close enough to do on the spur of the moment.
Can I ask "Why Tucson?"

If fly fishing is important to you... seems like there could be better options.