Tule 411

darkshadow

Reaction score
Guys,

Want to get out before summer really hits and have been looking at the Middle Fork of Tule River.

Does anybody have any experience fishing it? I notice that the Middle Fork runs parallel to the 190. I know that bodies of water near major roads usually equates to tough fishing. Is it even worth fishing this area?

Every piece of research that I've run into says to go up Wishon Dr and fish the "North Fork" of the Middle Fork.

Any information including access, roads, species and fly selection would be awesome. I just wanted to get away from the regular waters that I fish and trek in unexplored territory this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

mikel

Reaction score
Man, I wish I could help with local knowledge...best I can do is a link. Don't know the shop, but there's an email form to use contacting them. Didn't see a ph #.

The reservoir is said to be near dry and there isn't much coming in, so flows???? I'd make sure there is water before making that drive. Good luck...please let us know what you find out.

Sequoia fly fishing gear and supplies

darkshadow

Reaction score
The reservoir is said to be near dry and there isn't much coming in, so flows???? I'd make sure there is water before making that drive. Good luck...please let us know what you find out.
Yeah, that's the only thing I'm worried about...would hate to make the drive to find out crappy conditions.

I'll give the shop a call today to find out the 411, and definitely will pass along a report if I do get up there.

Thanks!

mikel

Reaction score
This heat wave isn't going to help you out. It'll be 100+ up there most likely for a while. It's a little snaky too, so watch where you put your feet and hands. I fished all of the creeks up there as a kid and remember a lot of small wild fish.

You don't want to run up the e side?...that's quicker and easier for you, isn't it?

Good luck...mike

darkshadow

Reaction score
This heat wave isn't going to help you out. It'll be 100+ up there most likely for a while. It's a little snaky too, so watch where you put your feet and hands. I fished all of the creeks up there as a kid and remember a lot of small wild fish.

You don't want to run up the e side?...that's quicker and easier for you, isn't it?

Good luck...mike
I read it's going to be 103º up there...ouch.

And yeah, the eastside is probably a better bet, if not the Kern, but I just wanted a change of scenery.

And snakes?!

:sweatingb

mikel

Reaction score
Just rattlers.

The fly shop in Kernville is bragging about carp fishing in what's left of Lake Isabella and not saying much re trout. Could be a message there, since they aren't getting much guide biz on the river. They're even touting the lower for bass and carp and I think the lower is mostly a sewer since silting in. I do think the upper Kern is still cool enough to fish, but with this heat and low flows not sure how that'll last.

I'd get north of Bishop and take a look. It'll be mid 90's in Bishop, I imagine, but a little north and up hill it cools off a bit. Tough time to go fishing here in the golden state.

planettrout

Reaction score
This is the NF of the Middle Fork of the Tule River:

I have been fishing there since 1980. It is best to have a 4X4 to gain access to the upper areas of the FF only section. I have not bothered going up there for the last three years because there is very little water to be found and it is best to leave it alone. If one does not know how get there exactly, one will get hopelessly lost trying to find this place. In good years, take plenty of insect repellent and don't go in there alone. If ya' get hurt yer' in a world of it...

Most of the Browns and Rainbows are relatively small in this drainage. I have, on occasion taken some very large run up fish, from Lake Success, early in the Spring...

This is what it looks like in a fairly good water year...it is located, for the most part, in a deep canyon and consists of a series of step pools. Getting to them and through, over and around the boxcar size boulders and "wait-a-minute" trees and brush will give ya' the workout of a lifetime...

This pattern, a Rio Grande Trude with a Peacock body #12 - #16...is a killer in there...

PT/TB ;)

Last edited:

mikel

Reaction score
Nice pics as always, PT. haven't been in there for uh, a long time. Maybe 1970? Your pics match my memory. I don't think any of those west slope waters really should be fished. Guys that have gone to the upper Kaweah for decades are passing. Sad.

acorad

Reaction score
I hiked down and back to the upper Kern last weekend. It fished well.

Andy