Turneffe Flats Trip

CWFlies

Reaction score
I won a trip to Turneffe Flats through The Drake magazine. 3nights 2 days but paid extra to extend it to a full week because 2 days of fishing didn't seem like it would be enough. The trip was a great experience but did make me a little jealous my home waters don't fish that good. Tons of bonefish on just about every flat including right out front of the lodge every morning. After day 2 I stopped fishing for them unless we saw a very large one so I could focus more on Permit and Tarpon. Only ended up landing 1 permit. A little user error forced to to break another permit off due to knot in the fly line and had great shots at about 8 more fish. Problem being even know i'd made a good cast and get the permit to turn on the fly if he didn't eat right away a snapper would get the fly then it being hooked spooked the permit. Tarpon fishing was outstanding. I think I went 13/18 on tarpon with most fish being 70-80lbs. Did catch a few dink 5lb fish but also jumped a fish that was close to 130lbs. Can't reccommend this lodge enough. Great hosts, great guides, great fishing, and seemed reasonably priced.
.DSC_0040.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg
DSC_0069.jpg
Permit 1.jpg
DSC_0249.jpg

gbanker

Reaction score
My wife and I have been there several times. She likes to dive better than fish and I like fishing better than diving so it works out great for both of us.

Craig and Karen run a first class operation.

mr mike

Reaction score
My wife and I have been there several times. She likes to dive better than fish and I like fishing better than diving so it works out great for both of us.

Craig and Karen run a first class operation.
agreed--they are good folks. I went about 5 years ago for the same reason as you. My wife said the diving was pretty good, and she has been to many of the famous spots in the world.