Tying the Albright knot between backing and flyline

Northcountryman

Reaction score
Haven’t tied an Albright knot before( at least , not that I can recall) and have had no reason to learn over the past few seasons as , recently- as a time saving measure - I’ve been purchasing reels with line and backing prespooled. However , I was prepping my gear for the upcoming salmon run and noticed nicks in one part of my flyline so I excused that small segment and retired and secured to the backing . After watching a YouTube vid on how to tie an Albright knot , I struggled w it a bit , knots coming out perpendicular rather than parallel and in line with “ the pull”. This , I finally resolved when figuring out that you have to make a final pass up and through the loop when securing. However , when pulling the knot taut , I noticed some of the flyline coating ripped off. Is that due to the flyline being old or is that going to happens inevitably no matter what ?

dennyk

Reaction score
I haven't had problems with tearing the coating off the fly line. It could be due to the line being old, or uneven tension in the knot wraps. I tie the knot slowly keeping evenness in the wraps and slowly pull the line and the tag tight. I always apply or drop or two of UV on the knot just for security.

Also in speaking of coating tear, it could be the material your backing is made from, never had an issue with 30# dacron.

Denny

flafly14

Reaction score
I think there are better solutions for attaching backing to fly line. I always splice a loop in my backing (or tie a bimini), and then put a loop in the back of my fly line. Then I loop them together twice. This way is strong, flows through the guides pretty well, and allows me to easily swap out which line is on which reel - something I do all the time.

With any knot you tie, you need to take care to apply tension correctly. With some knots this means that you need to slowly put a little tension on, then work your wraps down, then put on a little more tension, the work your wraps down, etc. And remember that with an albright you will be applying tension with both the main backing line and the tag end of the backing line. One will tighten the wraps at the "base" and the other will tighten the wraps at the "top". So make sure those are both tightened evenly. And with an albright, the more wraps you do the harder it is to get those middle wraps cinched up tight. So sometimes mores wraps isn't always better. If you don't pay attention to how the knot is forming, then it could easily cut into the line.

If you do all that, and it still cuts in, then maybe the issue is with your fly line.

And I'd agree on the UV glue.

fffl

Reaction score
an albright not is bulky , just use a nail not , it's smaller and smoother.

osseous

Reaction score
....and much weaker- Albright is a good knot for backing to flyline. As stated a couple posts above, got to tighten it progressively...tag end, running line end, tag end... till it's set. Your flyline coating parted because you cranked down on just the running line.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ddb

Reaction score
For decades, I have nail-knotted a 1' piece of backing to the fly line end; put a loop in the standing end; and then used a large loop in the backing from the reel as the loop to loop join. Those small knots have never come apart in use; always cleared the guides on the few times I've been taken into the backing; and they allow for easy line swaps.

The Albright connection is bulkier; requires retying on each line switch; and may be stronger but how much strength do you need? The tippet is going to go long before any thing else. .

silver creek

Reaction score
The Albright connection is bulkier; requires retying on each line switch; and may be stronger but how much strength do you need? The tippet is going to go long before any thing else. .
I've never used an Albright knot for backing to fly line. I use a nail knot and coat it with Pliobond to smooth the knot.

In the 30 plus years I have been freshwater fly fishing, I been taken into the backing twice and on both times the tippet has broken since it is weaker than the backing nail knot to the fly line.

hatidua

Reaction score
I started out in saltwater decades ago where loop-to-loop was the norm for backing to line connections. When I moved away from the coast I realized that lo and behold, loop-to-loop works pretty well on a 3wt setup too ;)

I don't think I've ever used an Albright for anything other than attaching a bite tippet (wire or mono) to a leader.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Did you lube the backing before tying?

I typically use, well, Chapstick to be honest, because usually that's what I literally happen to have on me if I have to tie an Albright on a fishing trip. But any type of common lubricant will probably work. I've used RemOil (gun oil), probably I've used a dab of WD-40. Even saliva in a pinch.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
"How did you attach your backing to reel for your saltwater setup? "

Twice around the reel arbor then a ten turn Uni knot drawn down tight so it's not slipping.
Plenty of on-line tutorials available to assist you.
As for "backing to fly line" all my lines and backing are fitted with braided loops made from 50lb.Gudebrod Braided Monofilament.
If the Gudebrod is hard to get,Cortland offer a similar product.This is another good skill to learn and enables easy and quick changes of fly lines.
Good Luck!

serengeti

Reaction score
One of the slickest things I have seen was from a Guideline rep who I think is now with Hardy. He stripped about 3 or 4 inches of the back end of a fly line leaving the core of the line. He then tied a perfection loop with the exposed core material. The loop was tight, solid and very flat. Then you do a loop to loop connection to your backing. Make a blind splice loop or a double/triple surgeons loop in the backing. I was surprised how strong and compact the perfection loop was.

osseous

Reaction score
"How did you attach your backing to reel for your saltwater setup? "

Twice around the reel arbor then a ten turn Uni knot drawn down tight so it's not slipping.
Plenty of on-line tutorials available to assist you.
As for "backing to fly line" all my lines and backing are fitted with braided loops made from 50lb.Gudebrod Braided Monofilament.
If the Gudebrod is hard to get,Cortland offer a similar product.This is another good skill to learn and enables easy and quick changes of fly lines.
Good Luck!
I do the same- but with the same gel spun i use for backing.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

LOC

Reaction score
I do the same- but with the same gel spun i use for backing.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Same, same.... I have different spools of the Gudebrod 20 / 35 / 50 and make my own braided loops to fly line connections.
In fact today I made loops to go on a 10' T-8 sink tip for a Skagit head.
It's funny to me because once you get use to making braided loops to secure the line a nail knot on the end of a line seems very insecure.
Now I know for a 3 wt a nail knot is probably all you need but my 3/4 wt line has a braided loop on it backed up with a nail knot.

You can take a salt guy and put him in fresh water but not his terminal tackle methods. Ha lol....