Tying zebra midges

JoJer

Reaction score
JoJer do you have another link about emergers? I searched the other link but didn't find anything. Thanks
Sorry, Losthwy, Ya gotta by the book.
I was intrigued when he spoke to our club-he fishes tiny midge dries and emergers all winter in Idaho. I was jazzed: Tied a bunch of 24's, worked on the leaders. Then realized that in that skinny winter water at the long approaches he uses, I can't see those flies! And indicators are right out.

stenacron

Reaction score
Dorsey's Black Beauty has been a steady producer for me (similar to others shown here)... EZ to tie as well:
  • Hook: #22 hopper style (TMC 200R)
  • Bead: Spirit River, quicksilver #260
  • Thread/Abdomen: UTC70 black
  • Rib: fine copper wire
  • Thorax: Superfine dubbing, black
Black Beauty.jpg

Reaction score
Just tie a variety of colors in the disco midge style. I tie some brass beads, some with glass beads, and just some plain ones. That way I can cover different depths and flows. Tie them in black, red, and cream. Here are a couple others that I like. A little tuff of CDC, a glass bead, a Crystal Flash wing, a soft hackle biot body, and even one with a foam thorax to take the sippers. I don't even give them names, I just tweek little stuff here and there.

Attachments

Reaction score
I tie and use a lot of Midge patterns - Larva, Pupa, Emergers and Adults. In most of the tail waters that I fish in CA and MT, they are probably the most prolific insect in the water column year round. On the EWR in the Eastern Sierra, the black Zebra midge with a silver rib and black or silver bead is probably the most used Midge pattern. However, a Cream Miracle Midge #18- #22, will consistently out fish the Black Zebra day after day, year after year because most fly fishermen have never bothered to seine the bottom of the water column and understand what is there and in the drift.

Here are a few others that work well for me and my kids in the waters that we fly fish:

PT/TB
That mercury midge is a killer. I've caught fish on it anywhere they eat midges

brownbass

Reaction score
And the PnP Zebra Midge. hook; 2499sp-bl, sz18-20, copper bead, small copper wire, small flash-a-boo, yellow thread. Tie the midge as you would any other Zebra Midge but wrap the Flash-a-boo up between the copper wire. This fly works great on Missouri's trout waters.

Bill