Unbelievable,frightening,sad....

bumble54

Reaction score
This is so sad, and the ( so called ) "developed" countries had their part to play in this. "Developed" countries (the west basically) exported their own plastic waste to third world countries for "recycling" rather than deal with it themselves, passing the buck. The local people in those countries earned a pitiful living living from that waste until those countries said enough is enough and banned it. It was cheaper to send it to poverty stricken countries rather than take the logical step and tax plastics to pay for recycling. Now most plastic waste goes to landfill or ends up in the oceans.
This will come back to haunt future generations as it already is having an effect on the ecosystem. We will all soon be fishing for plastic fish, the real ones will be extinct.

trev

Reaction score
..where is it?
"The view of the garbage river that runs into the Gulf of Guinea was filmed on 28.2., in Accra (Ghana, Africa)"

Indonesia is listed as the "Indonesia is the second largest producer of waste in the world after China and the percentage of plastic waste reaches 38%. "

I take it that these scenes are not imported waste from western recycling but accumulated everyday trash, what we landfill they just toss. Although Africa is a dumping ground for the industrial nations hazardous waste.

These 10 waterways contribute between 88 and 95 percent of the total plastic load that oceans receive via rivers
Yangtze River, Yellow Sea, Asia
Indus River, Arabian Sea, Asia
Yellow River (Huang He), Yellow Sea, Asia
Hai River, Yellow Sea, Asia
Nile, Mediterranean Sea, Africa
Meghna/Bramaputra/Ganges, Bay of Bengal, Asia
Pearl River (Zhujiang), South China Sea, Asia
Amur River (Heilong Jiang), Sea of Okhotsk, Asia
Niger River, Gulf of Guinea, Africa
Mekong River, South China Sea, Asia

"From the 1950s to 2015, we’ve produced 8.3 billion metric tons plastic", of which only 9% has been recycled, and another 12% has been incinerated. Nearly 6.3 billion tons of plastic has turned into waste with no half-life. Garbage forever, no mater if it's a landfill or the ocean really. Even the stuff that recycled is really down cycled into lesser quality plastic that can then not be "recycled" so it all ends up as non-deteriorating pollution. The bits that do deteriorate leech into our water and fill us with toxic chemicals.
"The volume of plastic trash in the world’s oceans is currently estimated to be around 150 million tons. No less than eight million tons are added to that every year"

Synthetic clothing and fishing tackle are part of this problem, how many flies and lures are lost each day? how many bits of fishing line? and we like the stuff that doesn't "rot" best, don't we?

flytie09

Reaction score
This is disgusting. Blows my mind. How we let this happen to us as a species is sad. I have no idea what the solution is. I do..... but it’s radical and not going to happen.

trev

Reaction score
Beer cans are truly recyclable plastic is not. Glass is recyclable yet in my state we have outlawed glass on the creeks and rivers in favor plastic beverage containers.

hatidua

Reaction score
I've lived in and grew up in various third world countries and in many of them the car window isn't for air, it's a portal to toss trash out of. The railing on ocean going ferries in Asia isn't to prevent falling into the sea, it's a hurdle to toss trash over once you are done eating/drinking your lunch. Yes, it's sad/unfortunate/compounding, but it's definitely not a problem that can so easily be laid squarely at the feet of developed western countries as some are so quick to do. Some cultures don't see trash in the same way as other cultures. Some people buy single-use plastic water bottles, some don't.....even on this web forum.

bumble54

Reaction score
I live on a rural road and still manage to pick up about 1,000 beer cans per year.
It's not just Ghana, etc.
Same, My recycling bin would be collected twice a year at most if it were not for the cans and bottles I pick up on our morning walks, sometimes two bags full, instead I put the bin out twice a month

JoJer

Reaction score
I've said for a long time that anyone, company or business, that profits from single use containers for food or other should be required to emboss their name/logo on the container and buy them back. I think that would hasten the conversion to recyclable containers.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
We have been tossing our garbage into the environment ever since we broke the first stick we used to dig into termite mounds with some 7 million years ago. Thing is, broken spear heads don't "pollute" like our waste today. And it is not just the visually evident plastics, etc. it is the invisible liquid and gaseous waste that is really going to do us in eventually.

trev

Reaction score
"be fruitful and multiply" is what will do us in as a species. That in and of itself would not be a problem, but we have mostly stopped killing each other and we keep saving the lives of people that might die.

bumble54

Reaction score
"be fruitful and multiply" is what will do us in as a species. That in and of itself would not be a problem, but we have mostly stopped killing each other and we keep saving the lives of people that might die.
I read an article many years ago by an archaeologist who claimed it wasn't medicine that saved so many lives in the past but it was in fact dentistry. He claimed that almost every skull he examined showed signs of abscesses starting from the time humans started using cutlery and discovered sugar.
Whether or not that is true it certainly makes you think.
But, when you consider child mortality was horrendous with the mother often dying as well, add in deaths from diseases and plagues I think he may have been barking up the wrong tree.

smilingduck

Reaction score
Humans don’t care about the environment. The earth will repair itself once we ruin the environment and can’t live here anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trev

Reaction score
Nature can't undo plastic- we can't even really recycle it, the earth won't fix itself, but of course that won't matter because we won't be here.

bumble54

Reaction score
Nature can't undo plastic- we can't even really recycle it, the earth won't fix itself, but of course that won't matter because we won't be here.
Over millions of years all plastic will settle to the ocean floor either as free micro plastics or within the bodies of living organisms. It will eventually be taken down into the earths mantle via subduction at the plate boundaries. Subjected to the tremendous heat and pressure within the earths mantle what it will emerge as, via volcano's etc., is anyone's guess but the earth will recycle it as something.