Unless I miss my guess the runoff has begun in Colorado

joe_strummer

Reaction score
Nah, not quite yet. Mid elevations are melting out a lot of snow from that last storm, but there's cooler weather coming next week. Snow pack is not moving yet.

zjory

Reaction score
Fished on Monday in the front range and runoff has started here. Flows had more than doubled from a week before and water was stained. Imagine it’s running much harder by now with the past few days near 80°

joe_strummer

Reaction score
Fished on Monday in the front range and runoff has started here. Flows had more than doubled from a week before and water was stained. Imagine it’s running much harder by now with the past few days near 80°
West Fork of the Little Thompson is in fact lower than a week ago, that I can report.

Moraine Park gage is at 70. Nice bump, not run off. Each new seasonal peaks will flush some crud through, but flows around here are already cleared up and streams will be trending back down. I don't really consider it to be run-off until we're seeing overnight temps steadily above freezing at 10K feet and above, where the snowpack is. This is just mid elevations melting out. Unless it stays this warm. There's snow in the Estes Park 10-day.

zjory

Reaction score
West Fork of the Little Thompson is in fact lower than a week ago, that I can report.

Moraine Park gage is at 70. Nice bump, not run off. Each new seasonal peaks will flush some crud through, but flows around here are already cleared up and streams will be trending back down. I don't really consider it to be run-off until we're seeing overnight temps steadily above freezing at 10K feet and above, where the snowpack is. This is just mid elevations melting out. Unless it stays this warm. There's snow in the Estes Park 10-day.
You say tomato, I say tomato.

cmcdhuibh

Reaction score
Orangevale Ca.(Sacramento) Estes Park Co.
Thompson, Fall River picking up through Estes still in the 30s at night getting nice in the day, windy. RMNP still closed thru to may 27th and then will be very limited access at first. Thompson in the Canyon is getting pressure, so is the lake. Don’t forget a mask if you plan on coming to Estes park it is required.

joe_strummer

Reaction score
Def runoff mode now. But with luck the system this weekend delivers some badly needed precip. The wind and heat has really wrung it out of the foothills.

Davebuech

Reaction score
In some places it's already starting to clear. It's gonna be a short runoff season and looking like a short water supply season. Maybe a good year for the Salmonfly hatch!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
In some places it's already starting to clear. It's gonna be a short runoff season and looking like a short water supply season. Maybe a good year for the Salmonfly hatch!

There's still a lot of snow on the higher peaks. I think it'll be normal, going all through June and ending in early July.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
[QUOTE="losthwy, post: 1548761, member: 56482
Fished the Poudre 5/20 and 5/21 it was water suited for white water rafting.
[/QUOTE]

That's what I have heard, so I won't be fishing that till mid July. For now I will be hitting the creeks. The N. St. Vrain beneath Button Rock Dam is fishable.