Unnamed Fly

flytie09

Reaction score
Playing around at this vise this afternoon. I've been trying to think of how to incorporate the Tragopan feathers into a pattern and this came to mind. Kind of a crayfish pattern....should work well for Steelhead.

satyr tragopan.jpg

Hook - Blue Heron #2
Tag - Large gold flat tinsel
Tail - Red and gold gp breast feathers
Body - Ginger angora dub
Rib - Large gold oval tinsel
Hackle - Brown chickabou
Throat - Light brown schlappen and guinea
Wing - 2x pair of furnace hackle tips
Cheeks - Satyr Tragopan pheasant
Topping - GP crest
Head - Black thread and Loon UV cure

swfl daz

Reaction score
Nice. I'd throw that to stained water tarpon down here.

How long does it take to tie one of those? From your materials list it looks like there's a bit of work involved. I think it looks great and I'm sure that clear trout and steelie waters need detailed and realistic patterns, but some of my most productive stained and dark water flies are super simple with generally no more than three different materials (not including the hook).

I'm looking forward to getting into more freshwater stuff once we get moved up to TN (hopefully) next year.

No matter, nice tie.

okaloosa

Reaction score
there is a salmon fly named tequila sunrise but I think your fly should usurp that name..yours would do the name more justice.

flytie09

Reaction score
Nice. I'd throw that to stained water tarpon down here.

How long does it take to tie one of those? From your materials list it looks like there's a bit of work involved. I think it looks great and I'm sure that clear trout and steelie waters need detailed and realistic patterns, but some of my most productive stained and dark water flies are super simple with generally no more than three different materials (not including the hook).

I'm looking forward to getting into more freshwater stuff once we get moved up to TN (hopefully) next year.

No matter, nice tie.
If I get everything pre-sorted and laid out ahead of time...I can tie one like this in 20 minutes. The challenging part are the wings....once you get them down though......they kinda fall into place. Some good wax, strong thread, proper thread tension, good materials and good scissors......they all help that last little bit.

I branched out in the complexity of my patterns from sheer boredom. How many Steelhead can one catch on an Egg Sucking Leech before you have to try something new. I was there......Fly tying to me is no longer a mechanized tedious exercise. There are thousands and thousands of known patterns......add in ones imagination and there are no longer any limits.