Upcoming builds? Whats on your bench?

mdraft1

Reaction score
What builds are you working on? I just started a donation rod for a local DV charity. 4wt. 7'5" fiberglass.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I've got an old Sage RPL that I picked up as part of a package, it is well used and poorly cared for. I stripped all the guides and cleaned the blank. Now I have to strip the cork, I'll be ordering some rings new guides from you sometime. I am contemplating trying to remove the reel seat and replacing that as well, but I'd like to keep it as original as possible. Plus I've never removed a seat and it seems like it could be a challenge.

el jefe

Reaction score
Rebuilding a 486-4 ZXL. Completely stripped it down. I didn't like the guide set I used the first time, and like a dumba$$ I shaped the cork grip on the rod, and took too much material off. So I decided to start over.

By the way, removing a reel seat isn't technically demanding, but it sure tests your patience. It is the longest part of any complete rebuild. I have damaged the blank under the spacer, just due to lack of aforementioned patience.

mdraft1

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project. What method are you using to remove the reel seat? I have used a heat gun (set of low) and it has worked extremely well at softening the epoxy.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I plan to start a thread regarding this but................

If any of you guys are interested in obtaining old school Gudebrod rod silks and tying threads drop me a PM and I'll connect you with a fellow who has most of the old inventory.

If you've been involved in rod finishing for a while then you know that Gudebrod was the best you could get for decades and you still can.

Ard

el jefe

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project. What method are you using to remove the reel seat? I have used a heat gun (set of low) and it has worked extremely well at softening the epoxy.
I used a heat gun to remove the butt cap and the threaded barrel. The spacer I just had to hack out. I used a hacksaw and put several "X" cuts in the spacer around its diameter. A lot of patience was required to avoid cutting too far through the spacer and into the blank. So far, so good. Now the spacer is coming out in chunks, and I used channel locks to break up the spacer. I thought I was outside of the diameter of the blank when I was doing this, and thought I had cut enough through the blank to just start pulling the spacer apart with the channel locks. Heard a crack...oops!:(

Repaired the crack by inserting another blank piece into the cracked area and epoxying that in, and then wrapping the area with thin silk thread and putting finish on that. Nobody's the wiser.:D

williamhj

Reaction score
Just finished two builds - reminds me I need to post some pictures. One is a 7wt Blue Halo fiberglass - fished streamers with it on the Colorado last month and it is a blast. My first fiberglass and I'm very happy :)

Have the last coat of finish curing on a 7'6" 3wt Proof Fly Fishing Vivant. It's a build for a friend who will be fishing it here in Colorado this coming weekend at his annual "fish camp" near Steamboat. Can't wait to give it a cast before he picks it up :) I'll have to snap some pics too - he wanted teal wraps, which look sharp.

I have two 2 piece 8wt blanks sitting in a corner - want to build them for a couple family members to fish bass up in Wisconsin but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this Fall finish them as Christmas gifts? Also planning a fiberglass rod to donate to Colorado Children's Hospital Burn Camp. Build a 5wt fiberglass for their silent auction 2 years ago and it was a hit. Justin at Allen donated a reel to go along with it, which was awesome! This year plan to do a fiberglass.

Wow that's a lot of building.

king joe

Reaction score
Just finishing off a 4 piece 9' 7wt travel rod....Batson blank. Deep blue blank...royal blue wraps with thin green trim bands. Looking for a blue reel (likely a Redington Rise) to 'bling' it out.

Have a Batson 13'3" that will be my next scandi.

Just got a request for 3 spinning rods...and a separate request for 2 piece 7wt.

Could be a busy winter.

King Joe Outa Here.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Working on refinishing a Bamboo rod I built when I was a kid. So far I replaced the handle and seat and stripped one tip.

Originally I had a black colored sliding ring down-locking reel seat with a burled wood spacer and a cigar grip, now it has a black colored up-locking screw type reel seat with a dark walnut insert and a half wells grip.

Next the windings were in black thread and I am replacing it with Metres thread in an auburn brown color.

I will be reusing the original snake guides.

mdraft1

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project. What are you using to finish the blank? I used Tru-oil on a restoration a while back and it worked great.

mojopin71

Reaction score
Currently putting last bit of Finish on a Sage One 9' 5wt. Black thread with light blue and purple trim.
Turned Honduran Rosewood burl Spacer and REC Nickle silver hardware.
Snake brand snake guides
Reg cork grip with Burnt cork Diamond Inlay.

Up Next will be CTS Affinity MX. 9' 5wt. in honey brown. Brn, copper, and light blue trim. Still deciding on these colors
Turned Coolibah Burl spacer and REC nickle silver Hardware
Grip. Turned Coolibah burl with Nat. Cork. first attempt, but like the look.
Snake brand snakes.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Nearly 5 years ago, I bought a 7'6" 1939 South Bend #25 in fine condition
To restore it, it only needed 1 guide re-wraped and the varnish cleaned up.
Well that cleaning has proved to be more difficult than expected :rolleyes:
I'll work on it for a while, realize that it's not going well and put it away
I've reconditioned a few other rods in the meantime, but that one is still my main project until complete

el jefe

Reaction score
Just finished two builds - reminds me I need to post some pictures. One is a 7wt Blue Halo fiberglass - fished streamers with it on the Colorado last month and it is a blast. My first fiberglass and I'm very happy :)

Have the last coat of finish curing on a 7'6" 3wt Proof Fly Fishing Vivant. It's a build for a friend who will be fishing it here in Colorado this coming weekend at his annual "fish camp" near Steamboat. Can't wait to give it a cast before he picks it up :) I'll have to snap some pics too - he wanted teal wraps, which look sharp.

I have two 2 piece 8wt blanks sitting in a corner - want to build them for a couple family members to fish bass up in Wisconsin but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this Fall finish them as Christmas gifts? Also planning a fiberglass rod to donate to Colorado Children's Hospital Burn Camp. Build a 5wt fiberglass for their silent auction 2 years ago and it was a hit. Justin at Allen donated a reel to go along with it, which was awesome! This year plan to do a fiberglass.

Wow that's a lot of building.
William, my daughter is a patient of Colorado Children's Hospital, and she has benefited directly from the efforts of people like yourself and Justin at Allen. I rarely get an opportunity to personally thank the folks who make the camps and the care possible, and I am thus grateful to be able to thank you now for your contributions (if a thanks over an internet forum counts as personal). I don't know if the Burn Camp you reference is Roundup River Ranch, but that is another Colorado Children's Hospital endeavor that is the highlight of the year for so many of the kids who attend, my daughter among them.

You have my undying gratitude, and I am glad that there are people like you in the world. Though few on this forum would be surprised by any of this, I wanted to recognize you publicly and personally.

Tight lines...if you have the time!

dwizum

Reaction score
It's "new rods for the whole family" season for me right now. Earlier this summer I completed a 9' 5wt Batson Rainshadow RX6 for my wife, she just caught her first fish on it this past weekend.

Waiting to be built, I have a 7'9" 3wt Batson Rainshadow RX6 for my mom. Also, a 3 piece 7'6" 4wt fiberglass blank from Angler's Roost, to build for my son, who recently broke his Eagle Claw featherlight fly rod.

williamhj

Reaction score
William, my daughter is a patient of Colorado Children's Hospital,
Thanks for your kind words - I sent you a PM. Children's is a great place, I know some very good, caring folks who work there. I wish you and your daughter well.

el jefe

Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words - I sent you a PM. Children's is a great place, I know some very good, caring folks who work there. I wish you and your daughter well.
Thanks, got it! Back at ya!

It's all relative, but she is doing well, due in no small part to the folks at Children's and their supporters.

FlukeFly

Reaction score
My current Project is a Mudhole
MHX One-Handed Fly Rod Kits
SKU : #FFRK-906-4-FW-C

Blank Model: F906 | 9'0" | 6wt.
Rod Pieces: 4
Kit Handle Assembly: Full Wells
Kit Components: Silver

I already want to buy my next project but was told by my wife "CEO/CFO". But I must get funds other than our house funds. I would love to sale one of my projects, But I don't know how to market my Rods. I also want to keep most of them too. I have plans to post photos. So I can get help how improve on my skills. How do you fund your projects?