update douglas sky g5

dr d

Reaction score
hi ,

meanwhile exercized rollcasts fh/bh,switchcasts fh/bh>>> no problems and high control.

also underpowered and overpowered fh/bh>>>also high control.

last and least tricks:f.e.svirgolato* >>>constant good result!good control!

*that´s a really superdifficult cast which results in a tippet angle to the right

by right hand execution and no it´s not underpowered!it´s an active contralining

of the tippet in the moment of stop :confused:;) - not before and not later!

have fun and stay healthy.

thomas

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have not mastered that cast with anything like good control, I'll try it with this rod.

dr d

Reaction score
hi s+s,

there was an interesting thread about 11 pages on sexyloop 2020 about svirgolato - i remind

of a swiss caster on ca.page 9-11 with a video about a svirgolato deceiver cast - look on his hand!

highly interesting...;)

thomas

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Not to my big, sprawling rod testing park that I must drive to but there is a small park in town just a block away. It is limited by trees and a fountain but when no one is around I can cast there some. When we cast SKY and SKY-G together, my wife cast SKY with a RIO Gold while I used Omni-Verse on the -G (on the reel I usually fish on the original SKY). But Gold felt so sharp on SKY I've been intending to try it on the -G but the weather has been nasty. So, just a preliminary short session today with the Gold clearly suggested I must take it to the big park on the next nice day and try Gold with more room to cast. Without doing a line switch today, I am now of the ascending opinion that Gold may be the line for this rod, it really felt just right...and this was a several season old, well fished line not a new InTouch but it was zinging.

dr d

Reaction score
hi s+s,

will get in a few days an airflo super dri bandit #5 and will make a short report -

it´s a true in weight and i feel for the " G-tip" it may make more sensitive feedback than an ;overweight>>>

>>>> we will see...;)

thomas

moucheur2003

Reaction score
a svirgolato deceiver cast
So that's what it's called. I once saw Ed Jaworowski show off this cast on a street in Edgartown, but he simply called it a "right-angle cast". He stood on a sidewalk next to a cute little Cape Cod house with a white picket fence. He cast along the fence about 40' up the sidewalk to the fence gate, where his line did an abrupt right turn and continued up the path to the front steps, where his fly landed at the front door, perfectly centered. That was in the 1990's and I've been trying to achieve something similar ever since, with only partial success even on my best days.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'd like to cast like Ed Jaworowski too but that is just not in the cards. I was shown this cast by an outstanding British caster who had been a ballet dancer when younger. He had physical smoothness and timing that was just extraordinary.

dr d, I do not regard Gold as being over weight at 6 grains above mean and within the 5-wt. window. It does not feel heavy at all and felt sharper than either SA Trout or Cort. Omni-Verse. I have Bandit in a 6-weight and do not like it...it feels heavy and is a little like 1/2 heavy I recall but regardless has that Airflo thick soft dullness and coiling issues.

For a while yesterday, rather than watch my line, I cast intuitively while watching the tip of the rod transfer from back to fore and back again and I was impressed. I would guess I had some 40' of line +leader out and the tip stayed unfazed with zero counter-flex and not a hint of overload, sharp precise and way above average smooth. Oddly, I noticed the tip-top has a grey thread wrap while all other guides have black thread...does yours too?

Ultimately, once permitted by COVID-19 to do so, I'm going to have to take this rod fishing with two reels; one with a new IT Gold and the other with IT Technical Trout...the river will help me decide.

dr d

Reaction score
hi,

moucheur 2003 >>> that was new to me;i thought this cast came out the edge from pragliola,magliocco and sim suisse>>great info!

s+s>>>yes: tip-top grey and the rest black.

perhaps;gold it #5 is 9,9g to 9,1 standard aftma(mesurement of german fff) and it´s surely great

i need some camo inweight for big numbers so i decided for bandit because of nz - reviews>>

so i´ll give it a try...;)

the "dancer" and myself had a "date" in 2 weeks in black-forest>>>due to corona and his

isolated situation in switzerland we will meet later;he´s responsible also for the youth

company of a world famous opera house there so we decided for going riskless.

have fun and stay healthy

thomas