Updated reel seat and Grip

Upstate08

Reaction score
A while back I pick up this LL Bean 6wt for $30. The threads on the reel seat were completely stripped so I ordered a new one from Matt @ Proof. He’s always super helpful and carries quality components. I like these Atlas up-lockers and found one in “English Green”, which seemed to match the LL Bean theme. In the process of trying to get the old seat off, I ripped the cork in two. Another call to Matt and luckily he hadn’t shipped yet, so a 6.5” snub nose cork was added to the order. Finally got around to putting it all together last night. Guess I better start shopping for a new reel 😉
A2423317-26FB-48A9-A121-7923AAE31095.jpegAA29EDED-3C8C-49D2-AAD1-9204C6BFC326.jpegE28CC082-AE20-46CC-B6D6-EE219612273D.jpeg

flav

Reaction score
Nicely done. I've replaced the seats and handles on several production rods. It's pretty easy and the results can be a much nicer rod for a small investment. Those Atlas seats from Proof are pretty nice. I built up a rod with one last month, and I plan on making another soon.

philly

Reaction score
Nice job. I replaced the grip on my 6 wgt a couple of months ago. I kept the same reel seat I used in the original build. Still I had to remove the two guides, along with the hook holder on the bottom half of the two piece rod to get it done. So I'll echo flav's question how did you get the grip, and come to think of it, the reel seat? That looks like the original hook holder in front of the grip.

swcr

Reaction score
The taper is minimal so you just enlarge the bore to match the butt od. . If too much play, then you can just build a thred arbor right at the winding check and down a bit to make up for the difference

LOC

Reaction score
The taper is minimal so you just enlarge the bore to match the butt od. . If too much play, then you can just build a thred arbor right at the winding check and down a bit to make up for the difference
Nice job and looks great!

I've had to go bottom up before as well.
I ended up using something similar to dry wall tape to fit the grip tight onto the blank.

Upstate08

Reaction score
I went bottom up. I enlarged the bore of the grip and reel seat ever so slightly (like 1/32 of an inch, if that) and it went on no problem. It was actually tight enough that I didn’t need to tape it at all. I used Gorilla glue, which expands quite a bit so you’ve got to be careful. I used a small paint brush and put on the thinnest of coats. No seepage.