Upper Saranac Lake

philly

Reaction score
I'm going to be heading up there in the middle of July for my grand niece's christening. I hoping to get a chance to do a bit of fishing, at least from the dock. I'm bringing my 6 wgt and 8 wgt with me. What I was wondering is there a Hex hatch on the lake? If there is I'll tie a few up.

falcon53

Reaction score
I fished the Upper and Middle Saranac Lakes with conventional tackle 35 years ago. Both lakes have SM Bass, Pike and panfish and Upper has a population of lake Trout. I don't recall any major lake hatches. Mirror Lake in the town of Lake Placid and Lake Placid itself has a more robust trout population. I know Lake Placid has good fly hatches. I would call the Lake Placid Orvis Shop (may be called Jones) or the shops in Wilmington. The Ausable River has a good Green Drake hatch.

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
There are warnings regarding high water temps for trout fishing right now, I expect so into July.

Try a float trip for bass or brook trout in a pond? Wiley's in Ray Brook, Hungry Trout do float outings.

philly

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've fished the Ausable several times, 10-15 years ago. Even fished the Saranac River one evening. I was thinking that if there's a hex hatch on the lake I go to in Northern Ontario there might be one on Saranac. I'll tie up a couple just in case. I'll be happy catching pan fish and bass from the dock. Unless I can talk my nephew or my niece's husband to paddle me around the lake in one of the boats they have.

kumachan

Reaction score
Mirror Lake is my 9 year old son's favorite fishing spot. My profile pic is from that lake. We've (son, me, wife) have all landed a ton of rock bass as well as many large mouth bass, small mouth bass & yellow perch at that lake. I've see trout in there, but we haven't caught any, yet. It's a really convenient spot to fish if you have to be in the town. PM me if you decide to go there as parking can be really tough in summer.

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Mirror Lake is my 9 year old son's favorite fishing spot. My profile pic is from that lake. We've (son, me, wife) have all landed a ton of rock bass as well as many large mouth bass, small mouth bass & yellow perch at that lake. I've see trout in there, but we haven't caught any, yet. It's a really convenient spot to fish if you have to be in the town. PM me if you decide to go there as parking can be really tough in summer.
My usual spot is across by the boathouse :) lots of bass but also rainbows (they chrome up in the lake) on buggers. Sometimes a flying ant hatch makes fun top water action, or midges otherwise. Haven't been up this year as my border is closed!

philly

Reaction score
My usual spot is across by the boathouse :) lots of bass but also rainbows (they chrome up in the lake) on buggers. Sometimes a flying ant hatch makes fun top water action, or midges otherwise. Haven't been up this year as my border is closed!
I doubt I'll get to Mirror Lake I'm riding up with my sister, so no car. I know they have a dock, maybe they have a boat house. I'd be happy catching rock bass, smallmouth, largemouth and perch. I figure my trip to Northern Ontario is down the tubes. We were initially suppose to be up there this week, but switched it to the week of August 29th. Now with the spike in the virus here in the states, I'm not sure the border will be open by then. I was reading on another board where some guys who fish the Thousand Island area had gotten their Ontario licenses but when they got to the Canadian side and their licenses were checked they were told to go back to the American side of the river.

kumachan

Reaction score
I doubt I'll get to Mirror Lake I'm riding up with my sister, so no car. I know they have a dock, maybe they have a boat house. I'd be happy catching rock bass, smallmouth, largemouth and perch. I figure my trip to Northern Ontario is down the tubes. We were initially suppose to be up there this week, but switched it to the week of August 29th. Now with the spike in the virus here in the states, I'm not sure the border will be open by then. I was reading on another board where some guys who fish the Thousand Island area had gotten their Ontario licenses but when they got to the Canadian side and their licenses were checked they were told to go back to the American side of the river.
Yeah, unfortunately, both the U.S. and Canada agreed last week to extend the border closure. I'm sure you'll have fun on the Upper Lake, though. If your family decides to go into the town of Saranac Lake, you can fish the Saranac River right in town. My son and I saw brown trout going nuts during a hatch just below the bridge on Broadway that crosses over the river, right next to the Left Bank Cafe. There's a staircase across from the cafe that'll bring you down to the river. We were not happy that we left our rods at the campsite!

Last edited:

kumachan

Reaction score
Not sure if we go to the same spot or not. We go across from the parking lot for the boat launch for East & West Lake and Lake Placid.

philly

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately, both the U.S. and Canada agreed last week to extend the border closure. I'm sure you'll have fun on the Upper Lake, though. If your family decides to go into the town of Saranac Lake, you can fish the Saranac River right in town. My son and I saw brown trout going nuts during a hatch just below the bridge on Broadway that crosses over the river, right next to the Left Bank Cafe. There's a staircase across from the cafe that'll bring you down to the river. We were not happy that we left our rods at the campsite!
I just called the lodge today to cancel the trip. The border closure was one of the reasons, but I found out last week I'm going to have a "revision" of my left knee which was replaced back in 2009 and surgery is scheduled for the week we were suppose to go up. I feel sorry for the owner. He just brought the lodge from the guy who owned it for the past 12 years. Normally, the lodge has 90% fill rate. This year it's running at 30%. Left this year's deposit to hold a couple of cabins for us next year.
The knee "revision" rules out me fishing the Saranac River, but I'll it keep it in mind. My niece's husband and his dad fly fish. His dad is hard core, so he might want to give the river a shot. The one time I fished it was just before I had my initial knee surgery and I just fished from the bank while the others waded. I caught three brookies so I was a happy camper

philly

Reaction score
Sounds like a good chance to float from a boat or canoe!
That's a possibility. Just have to talk my niece's husband or my nephew to paddle/row me around the lake. Canoe is out. I quit fishing from them years ago. Boats are so much more comfortable to fish from and less likely to flip over.