Using the Cartridge Reels

Northcountryman

Reaction score
Last year I bought a Hardy 5 wt reel with the cartridge design ; also came with 3 cartridges . I haven’t used it yet but plan on giving it some exercise his season. Problem is : how do you keep track of the line / rig you have spooked on each cartridge ? It looks like they have A little plastic number display wheel With abbreviations where you can move the wheel or disk to denote what type / weight lime you have on but it’s so hard to see. Would it be better just to label each cartridge say, with an item tag and wrote on it with a sharpie or something ?

silver creek

Reaction score
Label the tip of the fly line using the Lefty Kreh system.

Lefty's method is one wide stripe = 5, and a thin stripes = 1, so a 7 wt line would have 3 marker rings, one wide and two thin on the line tip.

If the wide stripe is toward the front of the line, it is a WF 7; if the thin stripe is toward the front, then it is a DT 7. Some markings will be symmetrical like a 4 wt or a 5 wt and you cannot use the marking placement to tell a WF from a DT.

You can instantly tell the weight of the line on the spool. If you use different colors of markers, you add other information like whether the line is a floating, sink tip, full sinking, etc.

Another thing you can do is to measure 30 ft of line out of the guides using the rod and reel you normally fish with. Then put a thick marker stripe on the line where you would hold it with your line hand. You will then know when exactly 30 ft of line is out of the rod.

Another thing you can do is to find the "sweet" point on a line where you are able to make the maximum distance cast. Then mark that spot, and also whip finish a small thread bump on it. Coat it with a bit of Pliobond to smooth it.

You can then feel when that point is in your line hand without looking down.

desmobob

Reaction score
I have the Grey's cassette reel and it has labled holes and tiny red plastic pins to enable you to identify the line on each cassette. I think I'd use a Sharpie on them if they didn't have that feature.

I just use a small piece of masking tape and fine-point marker on other reels and/or spools. I also prefer to buy lines that are factory-marked with the line type/size or mark the un-marked ones, Kreh style.

jddietrich

Reaction score
I have small waterproof labels and use a waterproof sharpie. I stick the label on the inside of the cassette.
People don't realize how cost effective a cassette reel can be, especially if you have a weakness for lines.

Northcountryman

Reaction score
I have the Grey's cassette reel and it has labled holes and tiny red plastic pins to enable you to identify the line on each cassette. I think I'd use a Sharpie on them if they didn't have that feature.

I just use a small piece of masking tape and fine-point marker on other reels and/or spools. I also prefer to buy lines that are factory-marked with the line type/size or mark the un-marked ones, Kreh style.
Yeah, mine has that too but how do account for sinking, sink tip only or floating line ?

desmobob

Reaction score
Yeah, mine has that too but how do account for sinking, sink tip only or floating line ?
That should be apparent without a need for labeling... all my sink-tip lines have a light-colored floating section and dark sink tip. My full-sinking lines are fully dark, and intermediates are clear. No labeling necessary...

Northcountryman

Reaction score
ok, I dont have any full sinking , but planning on getting one this season- so the full sinkign are all dark then? And sink tips are all dark tip/light floating?

desmobob

Reaction score
ok, I dont have any full sinking , but planning on getting one this season- so the full sinkign are all dark then? And sink tips are all dark tip/light floating?
All the ones I've seen are, with the exception of a couple of very cheap Chinese lines I tried from Aliexpress (and would not recommend).