vermont

Upstate08

Reaction score
Beautiful pics, beautiful fish, a beautiful state. What part of the state were/are you in? My folks live in New Haven and I usually get back there at least once a summer. Covid changed everything this year and I dearly missed my time in VT. A little slice of paradise there...

Thanks for sharing

philly

Reaction score
I pretty familiar with the area around Ludlow and Plymouth. I've been fishing that area a couple of times a year since 1980. Nice brookies. Never seen any that big in the streams I've fished. Didn't get up there this year because of the virus. My sister sold her old house and just brought one in Waitsfield not far from the Mad River. Now I've got a whole new area to learn. Hopefully next year.

Upstate08

Reaction score
Waitsfield is a fantastic area, great fishing both sides of the mountains there. I fish mostly the western side, around Lincoln/Bristol and on down to Middlebury area.

And if you’re a skier, forgetaboutit! Mad River and Sugarbush are right there. Stowe is just to the north and if you’re on a tight budget or with kids, head 30 min south to the Middlebury Snow bowI. It’s a small hill that’s run by the college, offers decent terrain and kids ski for free on the bunny hill. Great folks there.

jujim

Reaction score
Covid was an advantage for me.I am a teacher,so I taught in the morning and fished in the afternoon. I live in Mass and was fishing in Wilmington just over the border from Colrain about a 50 minute drive,well worth it. No one in sight ,found a couple of holes where the fish wanted to stay and play. It took the meat men about 6 weeks to find the fish,so it was a lot of fun this spring. The brookies were outasight!

Upstate08

Reaction score
Nice! Those are some spectacular brookies. I was supposed to be at a wedding in Arlington in July, was looking forward to some time on the Battenkill. Covid.... The Wedding is rescheduled for next April, so I might be able to get in on the early part of VT trout season ? .

jpakstis

Reaction score
Covid was an advantage for me.I am a teacher,so I taught in the morning and fished in the afternoon. I live in Mass and was fishing in Wilmington just over the border from Colrain about a 50 minute drive,well worth it. No one in sight ,found a couple of holes where the fish wanted to stay and play. It took the meat men about 6 weeks to find the fish,so it was a lot of fun this spring. The brookies were outasight!
Is that the Deerfield River? I was there about a month ago just north of the Harriman Reservoir. It was my first time fishing that type of river (I’m a complete novice) and caught nothing. I’ve been practicing up on tightline/euro nymphing and would love to go back soon. There were definitely fish below the surface.

My buddy and his family have a place on Lake Raponda and we were catching perch and smallmouth all afternoon after I struck out at the Deerfield in the morning.

Upstate08

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful fish! If I interpreted your post correctly, it sounds like the fish eventually hit the frying pan. If they are wild, that's a real shame.
Because of the term “meat men”? I interpreted that as meaning bait casters/worn dunkers. True, it’d be a shame to see those fish in a pan.

LandoLando

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful fish! If I interpreted your post correctly, it sounds like the fish eventually hit the frying pan. If they are wild, that's a real shame.
Agreed, beautiful fish! I only keep a few fish a year and usually never large examples. However, I think it depends on where they were fishing and what kind of pressure there is. I’ll keep and eat wild cutthroat in remote Uinta Lakes. Because some are so hard to get to, I might be one of a dozen or less people in a year to access the lakes, let alone fish them. It also helps make up for the added weight of fishing gear in the pack if I can go a little light on food.

wwfoste

Reaction score
This looks like the most recent Vermont thread I could find. I'll be going to Burlington for work for a week in June. I plan on just fishing around there for the workdays. I'm staying one extra day and can travel an hour or two away if there are any suggestions for an area to consider going to (like Stowe, Waterbury, Waitsfield, etc).

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Get a copy of Vermont Trout Streams by Bob Shannon and Flyfisher's Guide to New England by Lou Zambello. Better yet, stop into Bob's shop, The Fly Rod Shop in Stowe, and chat them up for what's working where, maybe even hire a guide for a day or two. Send me a message closer to the time, I have some favorite spots and may even be there myself.

wwfoste

Reaction score
Get a copy of Vermont Trout Streams by Bob Shannon and Flyfisher's Guide to New England by Lou Zambello. Better yet, stop into Bob's shop, The Fly Rod Shop in Stowe, and chat them up for what's working where, maybe even hire a guide for a day or two. Send me a message closer to the time, I have some favorite spots and may even be there myself.
Yeah, I had planned on going by there and had been to their site. Was probably going to do a combination of bigger rivers and finding random bluelines to fish each evening. I'll drop you a line closer to June.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
If you're on Facebook, you might also want to follow the local TU chapter pages: