Versileader?

indiglofish61

Reaction score
i just have a WF fly line, and would like to try that versileader instead of buying a sinktip line. Can anyone tell me if using the versileader worth giving it a try?

okaloosa

Reaction score
I own a bunch of them and they work just fine......
the only downside is there is a slight bump when the loop to loop connection goes through your tip top.
but having them in your pack can make a big difference if you are streamer fishing and need to get deeper...

mtboiler

Reaction score
I loved my versileaders. I have 'upgraded' to Skagit tips. I still have a couple versileaders and would recommend them to anyone thinking about trying sinking likes. The Skagit tips give me some more 'boost' when casting streamers.

cdnred

Reaction score
I own some versitips and love the idea behind them. Why should we spend extra money on buying extra spools just to change line types. I think they're very convenient and easy for a qwik change over..

Last edited:

mtboiler

Reaction score
Here is a little time saving tip for you. I mostly use the versileaders for streamer fishing. I now do the same thing with the Skagit tips.
For verileaders, attach a barrel swivel to the end of the versileader. If it is a faster sink type 4 or 5, use a size 5 or 7. I prefer black, but you can use whatever color you want. Slower sinks, type 3, use a size 10 or 12. This does two things. It allows the fly to run 'truer' in the water. And it significantly adds to the life of the leader. You can add 18"to 24" of 12 pound test to the end 10 or 20 times and still not have to cut off the barrel swivel.

duker

Reaction score
Some good advice here. I use both Airflo's versileaders and Rio's polyleaders and prefer them to straight sink tips. Because they're essentially a tapered leader I find they cast better and easier. They're also cheaper than sink tips. I loop on about 3'-5' of tippet to the end for streamers and wets. Some tie a tippet ring to the end of the leader.

proheli

Reaction score
Here is a little time saving tip for you. I mostly use the versileaders for streamer fishing. I now do the same thing with the Skagit tips.
For verileaders, attach a barrel swivel to the end of the versileader. If it is a faster sink type 4 or 5, use a size 5 or 7. I prefer black, but you can use whatever color you want. Slower sinks, type 3, use a size 10 or 12. This does two things. It allows the fly to run 'truer' in the water. And it significantly adds to the life of the leader. You can add 18"to 24" of 12 pound test to the end 10 or 20 times and still not have to cut off the barrel swivel.
Hi mt.

I just got the 10’ 3ips. I was planning on adding 3-4 feet of tippit, even more. Even though the leader is black, you’re saying you only add 18-24” ? You’re not afraid of the line spooking the fish?

I also got the 7 1/2’ in the 7ips. How much tippit would you put on that?

I was planning on putting a tippit ring on the end as I don’t have a swivel here, and also Is there any reason I can’t just use 4 or 5wt floro for the end tippit?

okaloosa

Reaction score
Hi mt.

I just got the 10’ 3ips. I was planning on adding 3-4 feet of tippit, even more. Even though the leader is black, you’re saying you only add 18-24” ? You’re not afraid of the line spooking the fish?

I was planning on putting a tippit ring on the end as I don’t have a swivel here, and also Is there any reason I can’t just use 4 or 5wt floro for the end tippit?
that is exactly what I do...a tippet ring and then 3-4 ft of fluorocarbon......the intermediate sinker line though is clear

mtboiler

Reaction score
Hi mt.

I am down to 18" to 24". I would suggest adding whatever you are comfortable with. Then as you use it more and more you can definitely cut back or add too. I have just found that the black or dark green color does not seem to bother the fish, especially when I am swinging streamers or stripping streamers,
Tippet rings will work just fine. I have moved to barrel swivels because fluoro twists up more. That being said, go with what you are comfortable with. I started with tippet rings than moved to barrel swivels.
That T7 is going to be really fast. Be careful not to snag up. Again, use what you are comfortable with and adjust as you go. Almost everything I do now has been adjusted over years of trial and error.

Jeremi414

Reaction score
One of the best more recent products for fly fishing. I no longer need to carry a spare spool of any kind. A cheap, small leader wallet from Amazon with a few different lengths and sink rates and I’m covered. I’ve never noticed any casting issues either.