Very sad: Griz kills guide near Yellowstone fishing the Madison

fatbillybob

Reaction score
A few years ago a kid was collecting/hunting antler sheds this time of the year & was attacked by a grizzly in the Madison Valley west of this area. He was able to spray the bear and survived. I’ve stay at this campground a couple times. It’s just off the highway, between it (highway) and the Madison River just before it enters the park. I wonder if the moose was hit by a car/truck & wondered in there & died. Just speculation. The campground is closed this time of year but fisherman park at the gate and hike to the river. I thought it was unusual that the bear would charge a group of 7 wardens/rangers. Just shows I guess the extent they’ll go this time of the year to protect their cache.
That is a pretty populated area. Bears getting more bold around West? Bears are super bold in Mammoth lakes, Ca. They show zero fear or even wariness of humans.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Would you not be the same if a bear was walking around in your home? I feel for the guy but it happens. How can it not? I've been charged by a grizzly. It happens so fast even the best shot is lucky to get one off, spray or bullet. Cause you will probably be busy shitting yourself.
If she hadn't of pulled up, why I don't know, I would be bear poop.
I was so deep in the Bob (Montana) I doubt they would have ever found me.

ddb

Reaction score
Some say that they can always handle an ace predator with just a legal spray can on their belt when that critter on its turf moves faster than you can blink and regularly stalks its dinner. Much less, one protecting its brood that you might just stumble on.

I guess those who walk away more or les safely tell the tales that determine how we should behave. (But then there are also shifting societal norms that muddy basic human survival priorities in favor of the critters which can and would take us out!)

When it does all go bad for some , we usually don't know for sure just how and why it happened. We are left to learn those lessons first hand --the hard way.

In the end it all comes down to fractions of seconds to make the right call and react effectively. It's Hail Mary time!

We aren't that far out of the trees ourselves after all. Thank God.

Last edited:

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
The Bear was shot by the authorities when it charged them.Grizzlies jealously guard their kill.
Swfl gladesman said: "I don't see how they say a bears life is more important than a humans. Definitely a rule our government would make up."
Mate, you miss the point entirely,here in Australia,Sharks take surfers all the time,followed by the usual knee jerk reaction from some quarters to kill all the Sharks......but here's the salient point.You are in their domain and they are the apex predator.That's how nature works..So how about we kill all the Lions in Africa because they occasionally kill people? Same thing.

Swfl gladesman

Reaction score
The Bear was shot by the authorities when it charged them.Grizzlies jealously guard their kill.
Swfl gladesman said: "I don't see how they say a bears life is more important than a humans. Definitely a rule our government would make up."
Mate, you miss the point entirely,here in Australia,Sharks take surfers all the time,followed by the usual knee jerk reaction from some quarters to kill all the Sharks......but here's the salient point.You are in their domain and they are the apex predator.That's how nature works..So how about we kill all the Lions in Africa because they occasionally kill people? Same thing.
I think you took my comment out of context I too live where sharks are prevalent and are an apex predator nobody said kill all sharks or bears but a humans life should come before an animals that's all.

caddis75

Reaction score
May he rest in peace. I've fished that stretch of water and while I had two canisters on me, the hair on my neck was often up. My first thought walking in that way was " Bears definitely live here."

eastfly66

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity , are there documented cases where someone has actually stopped a charging Grizzly or Brown with .44 , .357 or 10mm ? Don't get off on the wrong track with the question , I'm not an "anti" and I'm NRA with a CC.

heero

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity , are there documented cases where someone has actually stopped a charging Grizzly or Brown with .44 , .357 or 10mm ? Don't get off on the wrong track with the question , I'm not an "anti" and I'm NRA with a CC.
Yes, there are plenty - there is even a documented case where an Alaskan grizzly (much larger that our inland bears) was killed with a 9mm. Just as there are plenty of cases that spray has worked wonderfully. Pick you protection - just not in the Park as only one is allowed.

jimbaker488

Reaction score
I've fished that area some but on the other side of the hiway (191) which is the Gallatin and not the Madison, and frankly was unaware of the Madisons close proximity and this "Baker's Hole" campground area.
At only 40 years of age this guide was a very young man from my perspective and plus from what I've read he was extremely qualified on life in the wilderness and the associated risks in that environment, i.e., this young man was a professional wilderness guide and its how he made his living, and he loved the outdoors.
I qualified with a bunch of different weapons in the Army (Airborne !), including the .45. Anyway they said I qualified expert with the pistol but
I dunno how 'cause I could barely hit the broad side of a barn with that damn pistol much less a charging bear.
Anyway this is why I play it real safe when I'm my annual Montana road/fishing trip because this young man lost everything when he may not have been quite careful enough in the wrong situation, so somebody like me would be real easy prey in a similar set of circumstances.
Condolences to the young mans family & friends. What a tragedy because he was just hitting prime time in his life IMO.

hatidua

Reaction score
For those that read, these are on-topic, albeit maybe not the best books to read the night before your next trip to an area with bears:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A terrible story and the gentleman did not die immediately, it took a few days in an Idaho hospital. When we fish in many areas of Montana and Idaho we are in Grizzly habitat, a humbling and potentially dangerous environment. If you see their sign, paw prints, scats or marked trees, you go somewhere else.

el jefe

Reaction score
Fishing outside Pagosa Springs a few years ago, I ran across some steaming bear scat. Not grizzlies, but still...I got the heck out of there!!

falcon53

Reaction score
I see Black Bears quite frequently and I almost hit one with the car last week. They go through the back of my property and have never caused damage or bothered me ( not true for all people in my area). I stay away but have had close encounters. 15 years ago I had one 10 feet from my front porch. My dogs wanted to run him off but we wisely all stayed in the house. He went away after smelling around.

I saw a Grizzly in Yellowstone that was excavating a hillside digging for marmots. Powerful animal!

Indeed a terrible story.

cpiercem

Reaction score
This hit us pretty hard. The young man that passed away was a friend of my daughter. When in high school he had been in our home many times.

He was about as qualified as you can get for wilderness safety. There was some spray residue on his clothes, but they don't think he got much of a chance to get anything effective off. He was fishing, so may have been distracted.

My point is that it behooves all of us to take care. We all take a risk when we go out.

God Bless and comfort his family.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
This hit us pretty hard. The young man that passed away was a friend of my daughter. When in high school he had been in our home many times.

He was about as qualified as you can get for wilderness safety. There was some spray residue on his clothes, but they don't think he got much of a chance to get anything effective off. He was fishing, so may have been distracted.

My point is that it behooves all of us to take care. We all take a risk when we go out.

God Bless and comfort his family.
Sorry for your loss Cindy. May good memories be of comfort to you and your family.