Very sad: Griz kills guide near Yellowstone fishing the Madison

hubby11

Reaction score
For you guys who carry (I always fly into wilderness so no firearms) what are the rules? You can open carry or carry concealed (out of convenience) because you are in the woods? The national parks are no firearms right or is it no firearms in buildings in national park?
A little while ago they changed the federal law with respect to carry in National Parks. Basically, if you are legal to carry in the state the Park is in, you are legal in the Park. For me in Virginia, that means concealed permit (unless you want to argue open carry being legal).

But getting back to bears, spray and awareness is the way to go IMO. But even that might not be enough in the wild. Prayers for his family and friends.

Last edited:

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Too much for me to read so ill just say this . When I questioned and old ranger in Idaho about this he told me it would be easier to just shoot the bear and keep on going keeping your mouth shut rather than reporting it and going through the hassle . Thats what I plan to do if ever I have to use Mr Rowland .

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Too much for me to read so ill just say this . When I questioned and old ranger in Idaho about this he told me it would be easier to just shoot the bear and keep on going keeping your mouth shut rather than reporting it and going through the hassle . Thats what I plan to do if ever I have to use Mr Rowland .
Locally with the ranchers this is known as "Shoot, shovel, and shut up."

bonefish41

Reaction score
Guys: Assuming I would enter the wilderness alone for the purpose of flyflishing, I would not be reluctant to possess sufficient muzzle energy to stop any animal bent on dining on me...animal dead I am alive...prosecute me ...HOWEVER, Model 29 . 44weighs about 3.5 lbs loaded and a SW 460 weighs about 4.4 lbs loaded...I'm in the proverbial wilderness stream/river..with all my fishing gear on me plus nearly 4.5 pounds of protection...and I'm gonna deftly cast a 14 Adams to...sure after about 5 minutes i'm sitting on the bank with a coronary and the griz dines on me cold...So my answer is take the risk ...don't go alone ...bear spray or have someone make up a lightweight vet dart gun with enough juiced in the dart to trank a Bull elephant...as someone noted earlier wilderness carry was more for the two legged mammals...I got ticketed in the Strand during the early 80ies for possessing a firearm in the FLA state park not in season...I was with my ex she was filming plants unique to the 'glades...my concern was for two legged animals as this was during the south FLA days of swamp entrepreneurs...it was my Mini 14 which also resided on my bay boat during those time along with a 12 ga...

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Guys: Assuming I would enter the wilderness alone for the purpose of flyflishing, I would not be reluctant to possess sufficient muzzle energy to stop any animal bent on dining on me...animal dead I am alive...prosecute me ...HOWEVER, Model 29 . 44weighs about 3.5 lbs loaded and a SW 460 weighs about 4.4 lbs loaded...I'm in the proverbial wilderness stream/river..with all my fishing gear on me plus nearly 4.5 pounds of protection...and I'm gonna deftly cast a 14 Adams to...sure after about 5 minutes i'm sitting on the bank with a coronary and the griz dines on me cold...So my answer is take the risk ...don't go alone ...bear spray or have someone make up a lightweight vet dart gun with enough juiced in the dart to trank a Bull elephant...as someone noted earlier wilderness carry was more for the two legged mammals...I got ticketed in the Strand during the early 80ies for possessing a firearm in the FLA state park not in season...I was with my ex she was filming plants unique to the 'glades...my concern was for two legged animals as this was during the south FLA days of swamp entrepreneurs...it was my Mini 14 which also resided on my bay boat during those time along with a 12 ga...
It's not about the weapon. Hitting a grizzly charging you is next to impossible. Have you ever seen one run? I've watched them pull down elk at full gallop. I spent a bunch of years intentionally going into Griz country doing volunteer research. Any animal that leaves a turd the size of your arm does what it wants most of the time.
A fly rod in one hand and a surprise bear doesn't leave many options.

bonefish41

Reaction score
That's why if you're flyfishing, alone, with bears you take the risk...you're flyfishing not hunting...personally, I would not take the risk unless I had my loyal, marksman, man servant within my presence holding a 416 Rigby Double.:) Which is to suggest an absurdity

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Hank Parker? Must've been regurgitating something he had heard from a guide. Or one of his sponsors. That's a man that would have a person standing guard so he could fish.

Denduke

Reaction score
Somewhere on these pages a guy says air horn canisters are better. The loud blasts works? That and bear spray for my trip to AK. Only way to stop a bear with firearm would be to stone him. Not realistic. Likely to remain alive at least time enough to complete his charge no matter how fatally shot...

jwbowen

Reaction score
There is a report somewhere that compiles all of the known statistics from bear attacks. It compares the
ending results of the attack and the method used for protection.

jrp11948

Reaction score
Sad story. We don’t have Griz on the east coast, but my friends and I carry beat spray for the most dangerous animal in the woods, the two legged Homo Sapian.

Gundriver64

Reaction score
Does anybody have any info., on using one of the super bright LED flash lights as a deterrent?

Curious if this method has ever been tried.

thom

Reaction score
Bears do not like surprises. Be careful in situations of limited visual range. Be bear aware in all the ways the NPS and the USFS advise. Early humans existed for a long time without firearms or bear spray. We can draw on their knowledge and be aware of our surroundings at all times. Spray and firearms have their place but nothing replaces situational awareness.

Unless I’m on Montague Island, and a few other legendary places for bear encounters,
mosquitoes are of greater concern to me.

hatidua

Reaction score
There is a report somewhere that compiles all of the known statistics from bear attacks. It compares the
ending results of the attack and the method used for protection.
There are several such comprehensive studies that conclude with seemingly opposing results. As with almost any data set, the statistics can fairly easily be massaged (-and messaged) to fit the desired narrative and readers of said studies tend to gravitate toward confirmation bias.