Vintage Abercrombie and Fitch Phillipson De-luxe

trev

Reaction score
It should have more writing on it, but because it is three piece I'd guess it's 8'6'' and a 7wt. (or 9') Should be an excellent rod as fiberglass goes and for the mid '50s-'70s vintage. There were no fiberglass fly rods before about 1946 after the war was over and folks could turn war time technology into toy's. I associate "Deluxe" with the "Eponite" series ('55?-'65?) although the color reminds me of rods made ~1970, but I'm not a true expert on them. Rick's Rods in Denver owns the Phillipson name and all the old stock if you want a full evaluation. Bill Phillipson was a leading rod designer in his time.

Last edited:

Desert_fly

Reaction score
It should have more writing on it, but because it is three piece I'd guess it's 8'6'' and a 7wt. (or 9') Should be an excellent rod as fiberglass goes and for the mid '50s-'70s vintage. There were no fiberglass fly rods before about 1946 after the war was over and folks could turn war time technology into toy's. I associate "Deluxe" with the "Eponite" series ('55?-'65?) although the color reminds me of rods made ~1970, but I'm not a true expert on them. Rick's Rods in Denver owns the Phillipson name and all the old stock if you want a full evaluation. Bill Phillipson was a leading rod designer in his time.
Thank you. He was way off on the date

trev

Reaction score
Also thought it was bamboo...
Phillipson made bamboo fly rods but that one looks like 'glass in the pictures.
When I magnified the the case label it appears to say "P70F" which would make it 7' and it says line "HCH" (~DT7F) Or maybe P90F which is 9' - I did not even think to zoom in when I made my guess above.
The short Phillipsons are said to be outstanding roll casting rods for their length. My only Phillipson is a Dry Fly Special so is not a great roll caster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ard

redietz

Reaction score
Phillipson made bamboo fly rods but that one looks like 'glass in the pictures.
When I magnified the the case label it appears to say "P70F" which would make it 7' and it says line "HCH" (~DT7F) Or maybe P90F which is 9' - I did not even think to zoom in when I made my guess above.
The short Phillipsons are said to be outstanding roll casting rods for their length. My only Phillipson is a Dry Fly Special so is not a great roll caster.
Looks like "9" to me.