Vinyl Rib Recommendations?

ts47

Reaction score
I've been using UTC Vinyl D-Rib as a body material for some of my nymphs. I like working with the stuff but don't want to use it any longer. My problems come from wanting a few more natural color choices and really poor color consistency. The colors vary from spool to spool. You can never be quite sure what you will get via online ordering. Orange for example can range from a light orange to red, and olive from light olive to very dark. I know. I know. The trout probably don't care. I do though and want to like the flies I tie.

What brand or brands can you guys recommend that have good color choices including some that are more natural, good color consistency and is decent to work with? And, where do you like to buy it?

3 Different Labels but 6 Different Colors - from left to right: olive, orange & green. I'm not sure the photo does it proper justice, but you get the idea. I just wish there was a bit more QC at UTC with this product.
2020-07-03 21.06.53.jpg

Last edited:

kevind62

Reaction score
I use micro-tubing more than anything else for rib material. I do use D-rib for some if I want a more pronounced pattern like stone flies. An alternative I do when using micro-tubing and wanting a more pronounced profile is I'll leave a small space in between wraps. I like the micro-tubing for color variations because it will allow the underbody thread to bleed through better than the D-rib material. I use lighter or darker underbody colors depending on the color I'm after. It comes in about as many colors as the D-rib. And is much easier to work with. And you can use it on the smallest of nymphs. I use it down to a #24, which is about as small as I can tie anyway these days. For added flare I will leave as small a gap as I can see and add a wire wrap between the gaps.

planettrout

Reaction score
These are what I use. I have never particularly cared for the spooled UTC product...

PT/TB

trev

Reaction score
Not a vinyl user since the stuff I bought around 1979 was so awful to work with (or I never figured it out) but I thought it took color well enough that you could use art markers to make any color/shade wanted?

ts47

Reaction score
These are what I use. I have never particularly cared for the spooled UTC product...

PT/TB
Thanks PT! I'll get a little of both to try out.

Last edited:

ts47

Reaction score
I use micro-tubing more than anything else for rib material. I do use D-rib for some if I want a more pronounced pattern like stone flies. An alternative I do when using micro-tubing and wanting a more pronounced profile is I'll leave a small space in between wraps. I like the micro-tubing for color variations because it will allow the underbody thread to bleed through better than the D-rib material. I use lighter or darker underbody colors depending on the color I'm after. It comes in about as many colors as the D-rib. And is much easier to work with. And you can use it on the smallest of nymphs. I use it down to a #24, which is about as small as I can tie anyway these days. For added flare I will leave as small a gap as I can see and add a wire wrap between the gaps.
Can you tell me a little more about micro-tubing, what it is and maybe a link to the product you use? I've never used the stuff before. I guess the other question is how thin is it as compared to d-rib?

EDIT: Is this the stuff? https://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-hollow-tubing#!more

Last edited:

ts47

Reaction score
Not a vinyl user since the stuff I bought around 1979 was so awful to work with (or I never figured it out) but I thought it took color well enough that you could use art markers to make any color/shade wanted?
I imagine that could work. I don't own any art markers though. If I have to buy something, I think I should start by finding a product I like. Though markers may be something I should consider as well.

Last edited:

planettrout

Reaction score
Can you tell me a little more about micro-tubing, what it is and maybe a link to the product you use? I've never used the stuff before. I guess the other question is how thin is it as compared to d-rib?

EDIT: Is this the stuff? https://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-hollow-tubing#!more
Micro tubing was first used by the late Shane Stalcup. He demonstrates some great SBS's in this book on it's use, along with how to use his D-Rib properly. Micro tubing is hollow stretch tubing while D-rib is solid and flat on one side:

This pattern uses Midge Micro Tubing for ribbing:

... this pattern uses micro tubing for the abdomen:

...this pattern uses D-rib for the abdomen:

PT/TB

ts47

Reaction score
Micro tubing was first used by the late Shane Stalcup. He demonstrates some great SBS's in this book on it's use, along with how to use his D-Rib properly. Micro tubing is hollow stretch tubing while D-rib is solid and flat on one side:

This pattern uses Midge Micro Tubing for ribbing:

... this pattern uses micro tubing for the abdomen:

...this pattern uses D-rib for the abdomen:

PT/TB
Thank you again PT! I see what kevind62 was trying to tell me above. I may try some of that as well.

kevind62

Reaction score

Sorry for the delayed reply. I'll have to look back at my orders to see where I get the really small stuff. You can get the regular stretch tubing at several places but I've only found one place that carries the micro-tubing in a larger variety of colors. As soon as I track down where I get it I'll shoot you a link. Been busy lately and haven't been online much. Heading west for some much needed R&R and some fishing next week.

flytire

Reaction score
use what you already have but try different color threads or different color tinsel as the underbody

any hollow tubing is going to flatten out when wrapped unless its not wrapped tightly

fly tyers have a habit of making things difficult :)

kevind62

Reaction score
By the way, that is the stuff at J S Fly Fishing. But I get it from another online fly shop too. They have it in blue. They're the only one I've found to carry the blue and it's not always available. I use it in both the micro and the midge size.

ts47

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the advice and recommendations! I did buy some of the Hends Body Glass and Hareline Hollow Tubing to try. While I haven't tied with it yet, I do like the colors better. Thanks again!