Wading boots with the best ankle support

smp005

Reaction score
So... This past Dec 4th I broke my left leg right at the ankle - all of it!!! 9 screws and a plate later it's all back together but still rather weak. Last summer I bought a pair of the Orvis Ultralite wading boots which I absolutely love but they are a lower boot and provide minimal ankle support.

I'm looking for the boots with the most ankle support possible - thinking about the Simms G3 boot..

Opinions? Wisdom?

eastfly66

Reaction score
You got the right one , Simms G3 with laces. Closest boot to Chippewa work boots I can find.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I'd think the G3 is a solid choice, they are a high riding boot so you're going to get good ankle support from them. I am using Riversheds, which have been discontinued so I don't have firsthand experience with the G3's. As a side note, I was in a shop a few weeks back and saw new Orvis Boots, the Encounter, which seem very similar to the Riversheds and priced pretty similarly.

If I were in your position, I'd go to a shop and try some different models on to see what fits the best and what you perceive to have the best ankle support for the money. Lots of folks rave about the Freestones, they seem to have a fairly high cut too. And by all means, make sure you have some cleats in your boots, especially if you're fishing those shale lined tribs of Lake Erie!

comeonavs

Reaction score
I have both the G3 and rivershed in Boa laces .I personally feel the rivershed ones would fit your needs a bit better just based on my experience wearing the two. In defense of the G3 they are my winter boot so we're bought one size to big to accommodate wool socks under my waders. That being said the riversheds feel more supportive up high to me.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
If you go with the G3s and can't try them on, then order your street shoe size and it is likely they will fit. I started figuring too much for booties and winter socks and ordered a size up. They were huge and I exchanged them. I really like the ankle support and overall comfort of the G3.

coug

Reaction score
Agree with taking a look at several in a shop. That being said, my old G3's gave up the ghost last summer and I just bought a new pair of the same thing without considering anything else. I have weak ankles and wade in some tough areas. Love them.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
If you go with the G3s and can't try them on, then order your street shoe size and it is likely they will fit. I started figuring too much for booties and winter socks and ordered a size up. They were huge and I exchanged them. I really like the ankle support and overall comfort of the G3.
Dewayne: Am I looking at the Simms Men's Wading Boot Size Chart incorrectly? I'm looking to get a new pair of wading boots, but when I look at their chart it looks for my size 10 shoe size, I should order a size 11 Simms Wading Boot. Here is the link to the G3, then click on the size chart:
G3 Guide Boot - Simms Fishing Products

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Dewayne: Am I looking at the Simms Men's Wading Boot Size Chart incorrectly? I'm looking to get a new pair of wading boots, but when I look at their chart it looks for my size 10 shoe size, I should order a size 11 Simms Wading Boot. Here is the link to the G3, then click on the size chart:
Great link. It would appear that Simms says to 'up-size' one from your shoe size. Thinking about my two sets of boot (summer vs. winter) the summer is also one size up from my street shoe; the winters are two.

Lots of toe 'wiggle room;' and that's darned important! Nothing will ruin a days fishing faster than boots that don't properly fit. My advise has always bring your waders and usual socks, put them on, THEN try on the boots.

'One size does not fit all.'

fae

smp005

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone! Gonna go with the Simms G3s..

I wish there was a shop nearby where I could try them on but none of the shops around here stock them, at least not in my size.. So I will order a pair one size larger than show size and go from there..

I have to agree with Fred - I cannot boots without some wiggle room for my toes.. Especially Steelhead fishing in the winter - need that circulation!!

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Larry

You are probably be reading the chart just fine. Perhaps you will get a few more votes here from recent G3 purchasers. I have a size 9 foot in shoes. I normally wear 9 or 9 1/2 boots. I bought Size 10 wading boots and they were really loose with booties and one pair of wool socks. Loose to the point they would let my ankles roll a bit. I had to exchange them for 9s which fit perfect. If you have a wide foot I would go up a size. Narrow I would not. I would say my foot is just under regular with a high arch.

Now I am going to check Cabelas reviews because folks are quick to ***** if they thing stuff is sized wrong. At the end of the day footwear has a production tolerance so it's a bit of a crapshoot no matter what.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dewayne: I currently have Simm G4 boots, but the red liner on the inside is falling apart so I have been thinking about getting some new Simm boots at the end of the season. I have a wide foot and maybe that is the issue, I can't get my foot in the boot unless I completely wet the boot first (it is a size 10, same as my shoe size), so that is why I have been thinking about getting a size 11 wading boot. Living out here in the sticks, I don't have the option of trying them on prior to purchasing.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Larry

I would go up a size for a wide foot. Cabela's didn't have many reviews but they do have a $40 giftcard offer on several of their Simms boots including G3, and free shipping at the moment. That's a pretty sweet deal I think.

mikel

Reaction score
There are a lot of ankle braces out there that look pretty good for about 50 bucks? Not sure if your particular issue would be helped by one, but you might look, in addition to supportive boots. Good luck....rolling that ankle over when waist deep would not be good.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry

I would go up a size for a wide foot. Cabela's didn't have many reviews but they do have a $40 giftcard offer on several of their Simms boots including G3, and free shipping at the moment. That's a pretty sweet deal I think.
Dewayne: Unfortunately, I will have to wait, I just bought a Fishpond Nomad mid-length fiberglass landing net to replace the Brodin Guide Ghost net I lost last summer over on the Grey Reef.

JeffJeff

Reaction score
I think that instead of looking for the boots, it is better to find compression ankle support sleeves that fit the ankle more. A few months ago, I experienced several sprains, and my ankle was unstable and often painful. My friend recommended PowerLix to me and it actually relieved my arthritis pain and provided support for my ankle.

canoeman1947

Reaction score
As a retired physical therapist who is also a flyfisher, I would not expect any wading boot to really provide sufficient support for a weak or unstable ankle. Some type of slim ankle support would be better. This is assuming you went through rehab after surgery. If your ankle and lower leg is still weak, you obviously need to strengthen it. When I was rehabbing an ankle, I would not only work on regaining range of motion and strength,but also work on balance exercises.

Larry

hubby11

Reaction score
I have a bum left ankle and no longer go wading without at least wearing a lace up brace, maybe $20 off Amazon.

Assuming your doctor is ok with it, provides good support.