Warm weather rain jacket

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Hi everyone. I have something in the works that would require a lightweight rain jacket. It will be worn in high humidity and during heavy exertion with rain highly likely and possibly for many hours

I am usually a Western US guy and have the usual Simms rain gear but really need some suggestions that focus on being lightweight and have excellent breathability.

Any ideas or suggestions? Kev

trev

Reaction score
Probably not "breathable" (it's basically a nylon shell windbreaker with water proofing), but I recently bought a Columbia "Glennaker Lake" rain jacket on sale for ~$40. It is lighter than a wool shirt.

tcorfey

Reaction score
kev, not to dismiss your desire for a lightweight breathable rain jacket but personally if I am heavily physically exerting myself in high humidity with a good chance of rain. I would already be sweating so much a rain jacket would not do me any good. Alternatively, I would consider wearing a fast-drying nylon long sleeve shirt, nylon pants, nylon or wax cotton hat and nylon underwear. If the temperatures were on the cool side I would still just add a light fleece vest to keep my core temp up. Then bring dry clothes and a rain jacket to put on once I was finished for the day and was at rest. That is what I did when trail running or backpacking and it worked for me, I tried a rain jacket a few times and it just wetted out between the sweat and the rain and the rain jacket was not really any comfort to me, although if the wind was up then a fast drying nylon hoodie instead of a shirt was helpful.

For the record the rain jacket I had was a lightweight gore-tex shell from Northface with double zips that opened from just above the elbow on the sleeve to just about my midsection on my body, It also had adjustable cuffs, a stow-away hood and a drawstring at the base.

By the way your dry clothes need to be kept in some kind of dry bag even if it doesn't rain because of your sweat.

Good luck with your search/decision and I hope you find what your are looking for.

Last edited:

JoJer

Reaction score
I have a Cabela's ZONZ Western camo hip length water proof jacket I got when I got a gift card. I'd been using some 1st gen GI stuff (they made me give the quiet fabric stuff back when I retired) for a long time. This is quiet, water PROOF, not resistant, and light weight, mesh lined, and packs into the hood. Good number of inside and outside pockets. Heavy YKK metal zipper, made in Vietnam.
It's been a few years so they may not have this anymore. $100. when I bought it.

Back when it used to rain in Idaho, I got to test it in a side-ways blowing deluge. Water proof.

k_e_v

Reaction score
kev, not to dismiss your desire for a lightweight breathable rain jacket but personally if I am heavily physically exerting myself in high humidity with a good chance of rain. I would already be sweating so much a rain jacket would not do me any good. Alternatively, I would consider wearing a fast-drying nylon long sleeve shirt, nylon pants, nylon or wax cotton hat and nylon underwear. If the temperatures were on the cool side I would still just add a light fleece vest to keep my core temp up. Then bring dry clothes and a rain jacket to put on once I was finished for the day and was at rest. That is what I did when trail running or backpacking and it worked for me, I tried a rain jacket a few times and it just wetted out between the sweat and the rain and the rain jacket was not really any comfort to me, although if the wind was up then a fast drying nylon hoodie instead of a shirt was helpful.

For the record the rain jacket I had was a lightweight gore-tex shell from Northface with double zips that opened from just above the elbow on the sleeve to just about my midsection on my body, It also had adjustable cuffs, a stow-away hood and a drawstring at the base.

By the way your dry clothes need to be kept in some kind of dry bag even if it doesn't rain because of your sweat.

Good luck with your search/decision and I hope you find what your are looking for.
A lot to think about here. Thanks for the tips. It will send me down a new avenue of research. 👍👍

jwbowen

Reaction score
I have a Simms Vapor, Arcteryx Norvan SL, Outdoor Research Helium II and a Marmot Precip. These
are not brush busting jackets. All have been good jackets for me. Hand pockets and pit zips were my
original requirements and then picked up the Norvan for just light weight factor. The Helium and Precip
will "Wet out" before the others but will stand hours of rainfall nonetheless. First Lite and Kuiu both make
light rain jackets that breathe well also and can stand a little more abuse probably. I didn't mention Rab
which seems to make a popular rain shell because I don't own one.

Something breathable with pit zips would be my choice for more high exertion less mobile activities.
Marmot Precip would probably be my choice for a lower cost shell over the Helium because of the
pit zips. A major caveat would be the amount of rainfall expected. I wouldn't spend a week in
Alaska rainy season in any of these.

Btw, TC makes very valid and spot on suggestions!! You will eventually be wet in high exertion
and longer endeavors and a nylon shell would help keep the wind off and core warmer.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

LOC

Reaction score

These guys do a good job at comparing outdoor gear.

As tcorfey posted, it’s really a tough balance trying to stay dry from outside elements and dry from the inside if you are truly really exerting yourself. As a runner a rain jacket is pretty much useless. If it’s warm out I would rather just wear something I could be comfortable soaking wet until the activity is over. I tried running (long runs) in all my different high end shells and none of them were up for the task. My favorite solution was to run in a Icebreaker light Marino top (not cheap BTW) but when your out a few hours from the car it’s the time to have good gear. HTH

Last edited:

mike126

Reaction score
I have a dedicated wading jacket from Hodgman that will keep you dry in a downpour but it’s hot.

For warmer wet days I’ll wear my LLBean goretex rain jacket. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/124...n-SR0&csp=a&searchTerm=rain jacket men&pos=15

It is light enough to pack and for me I need tall sized so it was a no brainer. One thing to consider is the cuff fasteners. If the are big they can get tangled with your fly line.

Breathable fabrics are a must as are arm pit vents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonefish41

Reaction score
My venue Key West...have not found anything really breathable in tropical high humid...you didn't say if you were afoot or on boat running at speed...the latter I want to be inside dry as possible because at speed even in temp 80 plus if you are wet it's cold...as for standing on the casting deck being polled wet is ok in usual nylon/poly top/bottom...for Keys I use inexpensive coated(Grundens Sierra Trading Post on sale) some say breathable but for Michigan fall spring steel I'll use early model Simms GoreTex Paclite(Made USA!!) got on Ebay under 100 like new...for me at 6' 210 XL usual size but for rain jacket I get XXL more room for air circulation...

frickerdog

Reaction score
I really like the Orvis Ultralight line. I have the boots and the vest. While I do not have the Ultralight Wading jacket, it is on my list for the future (|I'm a little unwilling to pay $249 for a light jacket right now). One of my friends has it, and says it's a great and keeps him dry in warmer weather.

k_e_v

Reaction score

These guys do a good job at comparing outdoor gear.

As tcorfey posted, it’s really a tough balance trying to stay dry from outside elements and dry from the inside if you are truly really exerting yourself. As a runner a rain jacket is pretty much useless. If it’s warm out I would rather just wear something I could be comfortable soaking wet until the activity is over. I tried running (long runs) in all my different high end shells and none of them were up for the task. My favorite solution was to run in a Icebreaker light Marino top (not cheap BTW) but when your out a few hours from the car on a run it’s the time to have good gear. HTH
After a little more research this seems like the way to go. Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I am on the right track
And yes I love Icebreaker merino wool too

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
If you guys like Icebreaker you should check out Voormi. All US materials and sewn here in Pagosa. Owned by avid flyfishers.
Hands down the most unique wool clothing made.
If you're ever in Bozeman check out their store. The gentleman in the large photo in front of the waterfall is Paul Dufour, cane rod builder and owner of PJ's fine bamboo rods. And a very good friend of mine.
Their 4 pocket hoody is one of my favorites. Two hand warmer pockets up high to facilitate wader use. Very water resistant and highly breathable.

Last edited:

LOC

Reaction score
If you guys like Icebreaker you should check out Voormi. All US materials and sewn here in Pagosa. Owned by avid flyfishers.
Hands down the most unique wool clothing made.
If you're ever in Bozeman check out their store. The gentleman in the large photo in front of the waterfall is Paul Dufour, cane rod builder and owner of PJ's fine bamboo rods. And a very good friend of mine.
Their 4 pocket hoody is one of my favorites. Two hand warmer pockets up high to facilitate wader use. Very water resistant and highly breathable.
I saw some of their base layer and tech wear at REI. It look like some really nice gear!

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
It is. Not the cheapest but those dollars go into American pockets, not shipping from Shanghai.
Their proprietary weave is unique to them and has been tested on the highest peaks on the planet.
Amazing clothing for wool as a shell.

hatidua

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have something in the works that would require a lightweight rain jacket. It will be worn in high humidity and during heavy exertion with rain highly likely and possibly for many hours
If you find something that will keep you dry during heavy exertion, in high humidity, after hours of sustained rain, please post a link here, men's size L please.

The $400 "ultralight, waterproof, breathable" shell I wore the afternoon this photo was taken left me only slightly wetter than had I just swam the three miles to this flat instead of taking the skiff:

sML-JG.AB.jpg