warmwater pics

WWKimba

Reaction score
Any idea what this fish is? Caught it in a MN lake in the West Metro area on a small black fly. It was mixed in with bluegills and crappies sunning near the edge about 5-10 ft from shore in 2-3’ of water. I have a guess but don’t want to lead anyone. Sorry about the ugly mug in the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure it's a shiner - probably either a Golden or Emerald.

Kim

guido

Reaction score
Any idea what this fish is? Caught it in a MN lake in the West Metro area on a small black fly. It was mixed in with bluegills and crappies sunning near the edge about 5-10 ft from shore in 2-3’ of water. I have a guess but don’t want to lead anyone. Sorry about the ugly mug in the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golden shiner.

Chris_in_Louisiana

Reaction score
Rain finally broke after a week of constant storms, so I decided to give City Park in New Orleans a try yesterday afternoon.

Caught the Rio Grande Cichlid below along with a few bluegill. Had one nice bass put quite a bend in my 2wt as well, but didn't manage to bring it to shore.

Chris_in_Louisiana

Reaction score
It was a rough fish type of day today. Not pictured is the 30+" Grass Carp that I made the mistake of trying to lift onto the bank instead of photographing in the water. Darn thing soaked me with mud as it swam off.

Last edited:
J

joe_strummer

You can't be a pike angler and be afraid to bleed.

IMG_7276 copy.jpg

Later, I had a bloodless and much briefer encounter with a very large muskellunge, thanks to my penchant for using heavy fluoro bite tippets, which were probably not necessary in the waters I was fishing. I was fishing the designated basser in the rack at the time, #2 Dahlberg Diver on an 8 with a 60# tippet to hedge against teeth, so I probably would not have had a wire leader on in any case. It would've been a fairly wild ride, and now I'll be kicking my dumb self until my next musky.

lacivic99

Reaction score
You can't be a pike angler and be afraid to bleed.

View attachment 34948

Later, I had a bloodless and much briefer encounter with a very large muskellunge, thanks to my penchant for using heavy fluoro bite tippets, which were probably not necessary in the waters I was fishing. I was fishing the designated basser in the rack at the time, #2 Dahlberg Diver on an 8 with a 60# tippet to hedge against teeth, so I probably would not have had a wire leader on in any case. It would've been a fairly wild ride, and now I'll be kicking my dumb self until my next musky.
So heavy fluoro is a no-go for muskie fishing?

J

joe_strummer

So heavy fluoro is a no-go for muskie fishing?
I see it as a function of water clarity and fishing pressure. I've been using 50 to 100# fluoro bite tippets (Rio saltwater fluoro, specifically) for some years because I've become convinced they're a needed edge in clear water/high pressure situations, a common set-up for pike fishing in Colorado. Doing the same in Canada with northerns into the 40s gave me a lot of comfort with it. Not that I've never been bit off with fluoro; it's happened, but it's rare. But I'm likely to go back to using wire in some situations.

I did encounter three more muskies that morning after that one, all 40-class fish.