"Washing Line Method"- using boobies

silver creek

Reaction score
Interesting method. I posted the video for you.

original cormorant

Reaction score
The washing line is the most used (=most successful) stillwater boat fishing tactic in the UK. I doubt that anyone would dispute that! It's also used from the bank on larger still waters. It can also be used with 4 flies and leaders upto 20 feet or more, normally leaving at least 5 feet between flies.

swampsinger

Reaction score
Around my part of Ontario many of the lakes are stocked primarily for snowmobile ice fisherman. The lakes are small to medium in size and are generally oligotrophic. During the summer surface temps get to high for trout as the lakes stratify. The thermocline usually sets up 20 to 30 ft deep with oxygen and temps ideal for rainbow trout in that zone. I have had success "dredging" boobies right along the bottom with a type 6 sinking line and a 3 to 5 ft floro leader. Sometimes I add a damsel or dragonfly nymph dropper. I would like to try other methods utilizing boobies and fabs. I was thinking that a strip and pause retrieve over deep weeds or structure with an intermediate line might work at certain times. There is always something to experiment with.

swampsinger

Reaction score
A first for me, went out last week to target Lake Whitefish and actually caught one. I caught it in 40 f.o.w on a buoyant water boatman pattern behind a tequila booby. I think I might try this again. Around here whitefish are under utilized and I like to eat them.

el jefe

Reaction score
This looks a lot like a setup I erringly tied on early in my fly fishing days. I was up at the San Juan, and going to tie on a dry/dropper, only what I tied on was a dropper/dry, with the dry at the terminal end. I was so excited to fish that I got it reversed, and even the realization of my error did not curb my enthusiasm. So I just threw it out there as-is, and on the first cast I saw my ant pattern dive under as a fish took the suspended nymph. Never supposed to work on the San Juan, and anyone would tell you what I did was assbackwards, but it worked. I have a friend who fished a Parachute Adams subsurface with splits shot on the San Juan, and that thing took fish until it unraveled. And those fish are supposed to be "educated." Just goes to show, try anything...

original cormorant

Reaction score
Have you tried it in the river?
No. It's not a tactic that readily adapts to flowing water. Fish a bouyant fly as part of a team on a river by all means but it's not a washing line.
The tactic was developed entirely for loch-style fishing, It can be fished from a still water bank or anchored boat but frankly not in flowing water. It's about the angler controlling the retrieve, in a river the flow of the water is in control.