Water around Coolidge, Az

Noluk

Reaction score
I'm looking to restart fly fishing and would like to know if anyone knows of any place close to the town of Coolidge thats no more than an hour away

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Little bit of a guess as I actually don['t live near Coolidge, but in north phoenix, but here goes . . .

No trout near there. Salt River chain lakes are within your circle (Roosevelt, Apache, Canyon lakes), all warm-water fisheries. Some good SMB fishing in there, including the Salt R. itself in spots.

Closest trout fishing would probably be around Payson, probably about 1.5-2 hours away. The E. Verde river, Chris creek, Tonto a few others.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I should add that trout fishing right now is going to be very tough.

I know some of my buddies are actually fly fishing for carp in the canals these days, if you're into that.

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-

Brother, don't you dare low-rate the canal carp fishing in Phoenix! Those big old picky and spooky carp-fish kept me sane in 2017 when I was living in Phoenix. And if you can consistently catch those canal-carp on a fly rod, you are one fine angler. Go out early before the Phoenix sun heats up and starts to melt the bumper off your car and those canal fish can be a whole lot of fun. Try some sort of fuzzy, ragged, scruffy looking dry fly in a brown, green or other dark color and float it over those big carp. Most of the time they won't respond, but when they do...

good day to all- Ed

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Good morning to all-

Brother, don't you dare low-rate the canal carp fishing in Phoenix! Those big old picky and spooky carp-fish kept me sane in 2017 when I was living in Phoenix. And if you can consistently catch those canal-carp on a fly rod, you are one fine angler. Go out early before the Phoenix sun heats up and starts to melt the bumper off your car and those canal fish can be a whole lot of fun. Try some sort of fuzzy, ragged, scruffy looking dry fly in a brown, green or other dark color and float it over those big carp. Most of the time they won't respond, but when they do...

good day to all- Ed
Not denigrating carp fishing at all. Just not my cup of tea really. That, and I'm not terribly interested in fishing in PHX right now. WAY too hot. But if things slow down some more at work . . .

GoWest

Reaction score
Just joined the carp club this year. Hard to pass up fishing for these beasts on my lunch break right across the road at work. Using the G. Loomis Shorestalker 8.5 foot 7 weight; Ross Animas reel lined with Rio Big Nasty. I am addicted! I can hardly go two days in a row without walking over there and stalking those beasties. I've had to learn a lot, but have been able to catch them on the surface and while they feed face down. The fight is amazing and I've had to pick up my delicate accuracy game big time.

Attachments