Water Proofing Flies

ts47

Reaction score
I bought some to try.
Looking at the video, it appears to leave a coating that dulls colors. You will see it if you look at the before and after on the business card. You can see the coating even better by looking at the before and after of the clear dish.

silver creek

Reaction score
Sprayed the Hydrobead into a bottle, soaked a dry fly and put in a glass of water. Submerged the fly and it SANK!

I just burned $20 so you don't have to......

May still work on clothing but doesn't waterproof dry flies.

Last edited:

John Forish

Reaction score
Had a guy recommend using Rainx, for your windshield. Have only tried it couple times but seems to work well, and is very cheap/per fly

ts47

Reaction score
I wound up buying the Shimazaki Dry Shake Liquid 1oz. There is a seller on Amazon that has it for $5.50 plus shipping. I bought two bottles and only paid shipping once. The two bottles together with the shipping seem to be about the same price as everyone else's one bottle.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BC1EHM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00"]Amazon.com : Umpqua Shimazaki Dry Shake Liquid 1oz : Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41mPXFIpFZL[/ame]

jb1023

Reaction score

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I wound up buying the Shimazaki Dry Shake Liquid 1oz. There is a seller on Amazon that has it for $5.50 plus shipping. I bought two bottles and only paid shipping once. The two bottles together with the shipping seem to be about the same price as everyone else's one bottle.

Amazon.com : Umpqua Shimazaki Dry Shake Liquid 1oz : Sports & Outdoors

Todd: Thanks for the heads up on that great deal on floatant, my three bottles of Shimazaki arrived in the mail today! Yahoo!!!!!

Note: I checked a few fly shops for that same floatant and the going rate seems to be $14.99 to $15.99, so that was quite the deal.

ts47

Reaction score
Todd: Thanks for the heads up on that great deal on floatant, my three bottles of Shimazaki arrived in the mail today! Yahoo!!!!!

Note: I checked a few fly shops for that same floatant and the going rate seems to be $14.99 to $15.99, so that was quite the deal.
Glad it worked out for you Larry!! I just got mine too. :thumbsupu

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Had a guy recommend using Rainx, for your windshield. Have only tried it couple times but seems to work well, and is very cheap/per fly
That was going to be my suggestion. I haven't tried it, but it occurred to me the other day when I was filling my car's windshield washer. I'm glad to hear that it works, and will try it.

bbbruce77

Reaction score
I have used Rain X since back in the 80's and Watershed appeared around the late 90's. I have that also. These both are treatments that I apply at the bench after tying several dozen or so. They seem to be pretty similar as far as results. If your tying area is closed in, I would go some where else with good ventilation to use Watershed as it really smells bad.

Last edited:

gordy5

Reaction score
Just a quick question if anyone has had a problem with any of the liquid pre-treatments changing the color and/or texture of their flies? I just pre-treated a few Coachman's in Agra, and it destroyed the red thread and the peacock herl!