We Have a New 2 Hand Category

ryc72

Reaction score
So is this where the skagit guys come when the scandi guys won’t let them past the velvet rope of the cool guys club?

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Well If you must know it was I who asked if we could have a skagit section. For how many times we talk about fishing sink tips, large flies, tubes, intruders, I always hear well that's a different thing than spey. Yes its different but its also allowed us Great Lakes anglers to fish 10` through-12` rods and compact line systems to swing for steelhead and salmon. including a ton of cold/warmwater species, Smallmouth bass, pike, muskie, carp.....

Its probably more of a Great Lakes section as the short heads reign supreme around these parts, Yes there are very limited rivers where you can get your long scandi or mid belly on and cast 13`-14` rods. Most guys fish at least two styles these days and everyone is welcome but we talk skagit stuff and even how it is related to the other styles.

I guess I really don't know how many west coast guys fish short heads, most seem to fish long rods and lines out west, even us local guys do that where we can.

So blame me, I thought it would be cool and we could keep skagit casting info, heads, tips, leaders in one section, and it might be easier to find and view information. Learning two handed stuff in general is tough, especially when the terms and definitions cross three different styles and line tip systems.

Skagit has changed since I started 4 years ago, lots of stuff out there, but the main focus is enjoying fishing the water you have and being successful doing it, steelhead and salmon are not easy to catch, and I`m seeing people giving up out of frustration of casting issues and not catching anything and spending cash with little results. Personally I want to see two handed casting and swinging flies grow for a number of reasons, and it has a lot, since the first Minnesota/Northwestern Wisconsin Spey claves.

I`m fairly new, not an expert, just trying to get better and fish better, Maybe we could attract some experienced skagit casters and have fun. Remember fun?

So unite skagit casters, a place of our own, thanks to Ard,

ryc72

Reaction score
Thank you unknown! I just swung flies for salmon on the salmon river in Pulaski ny using my 8wt switch rod! 550 grain skagit max short and t11 mow tips. Just love the casting...something about it is so satisfying. Sadly only one tug on the swing. Had a lot more success fishing streamers and dead drifting eggs using my single hander. Gonna try again in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Thank you unknown! I just swung flies for salmon on the salmon river in Pulaski ny using my 8wt switch rod! 550 grain skagit max short and t11 mow tips. Just love the casting...something about it is so satisfying. Sadly only one tug on the swing. Had a lot more success fishing streamers and dead drifting eggs using my single hander. Gonna try again in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait.
Oh there is a learning curve, If you are doing well swinging on single hand, two hand skagit will come around. Use the same flies, There can be very good days swinging flies. We have a saying from a friend of mine, We swing flies, we catch less fish and we are cool with that.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Oh there is a learning curve, If you are doing well swinging on single hand, two hand skagit will come around. Use the same flies, There can be very good days swinging flies. We have a saying from a friend of mine, We swing flies, we catch less fish and we are cool with that.
Being a baseball nut, I think of it like this. Hank Aaron might have hit 1500 home runs if he'd just stayed in the minor leagues. It would have been so much easier if he avoided facing Koufax and Gibson and the strike outs that came with that. No requirement for anyone to agree with me, but it means more if you spend at least some of your time challenging yourself, no matter what you are pursuing in this life.

thirdcoaststeelheader

Reaction score
A forum and discussions on Skagit in the GL region, I really look forward to learning more here. Thanks for starting it!

huronfly

Reaction score
After fishing out in BC this summer I can say the gear used (lines, rods) are virtually identical to what we use here in the Great Lakes. A 13' 7 weight is pretty standard there, as well as many of the rivers here in Ontario at least, there's lots of room to bomb casts in both places. Even in BC where the rivers are huge a lot of people use switch rods with Skagit heads - at least on the main Skeena, where the fish are quite literally passing by your feet, there is no need to throw more than 50' of line. At least here in Ontario, midbellies, scandis, and Skagit are all popular at different times of year, I'd argue just as popular as they are out west.

I guess what I'm wondering then is this going to be a GL Skagit category, or all things Skagit? The title seems obvious as it would cover everything, but a few Great lakes comments makes it sound like there is a need for a great lakes spey category.... since the structure of our rivers differs so much from PNW maybe we could have something like a "swing techniques for GL steelhead" or "spey fishing the Great Lakes" GL category as well as a "Skagit lovers corner"? Just some thoughts...

Its great to see so many people getting in to 2handed casting, and nice to have somewhere here to discuss it!

ia_trouter

Reaction score
All things skagit of course. Some of the best skagit info comes from the PNW for sure. There are not near enough active two hand casters that post to justify spreading us out. Even less scandi casters and I see no reason to abandon those threads. This forum has never been exclusionary in my opinion.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Lets not complicate this- We have a skagit corner- everyone is welcome, from where ever skagit lines are fished. Guys are fishing shorter rods and shorter skagit heads.

Its a new day, the tech is changing and we are skagit casters. I`ll be out all weekend.

huronfly

Reaction score
I like to scandi cast my Skagit lines, am I still a Skagit caster?:icon_lol: I'm just buggin', it's steelhead time baby!

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I like to scandi cast my Skagit lines, am I still a Skagit caster?:icon_lol: I'm just buggin', it's steelhead time baby!

I cast single spey all the time on skagit heads, you can do that now easily.
My switch rod is a 11`switch.

Edit_ADD- Ed did teach the single spey, but he said he doesn't use it much because he likes water load casts but he does single spey on commando heads. SO yes it is skagit style single spey.

I tend to single spey as much as snap T and circle spey on my switch rods.

Last edited:

The op

Reaction score
I prefer dry fly over any other form,,but there are times that i gotta do what i gotta do.

I do both (prefered) skagit and occasional scandi,for trout,,but for skagit,,,,,,

Mystic 11'3 3 weight,opst 200 grain with 25lb slickshooter and various floating,sinking polys and some T8

Epic glass 8 ft 4 weight,diy 10 ft head (cant remember but think somewhere around 140 grains) again 25lb slickshooter with various polys.

This is a fun one for small streams,,cgr 6'6 2 weight,diy 8 ft head (cant remember but its under 100 grains) again with various polys.

Ive fished sage one 2,3 and 4 weight trout speys with rio skagit short heads with various sink tips.

After a week long fishing trip i swung streamers with my 9 ft 5 weight sage igniter,rio gold,between hatches,i done well,,but i knew a different method would have been easier.

So yesterday i decided i need a spare spool dedicated for such times swinging and stripping streamers.
I made the pilgrimage to the store and came home with 200 grain opst smooth inergrated,1 7.5ft and 1 5ft run series opst tip,and a spool of trouthunter 1x fluoro tippet.

I ll hopefully test it today,im curious how thing will go on the fast singlehander.

My prefefed casts are snap t and perrypoke.

Good thread.

LukeNZ

Reaction score
I prefer dry fly over any other form,,but there are times that i gotta do what i gotta do.

I do both (prefered) skagit and occasional scandi,for trout,,but for skagit,,,,,,

Mystic 11'3 3 weight,opst 200 grain with 25lb slickshooter and various floating,sinking polys and some T8

Epic glass 8 ft 4 weight,diy 10 ft head (cant remember but think somewhere around 140 grains) again 25lb slickshooter with various polys.

This is a fun one for small streams,,cgr 6'6 2 weight,diy 8 ft head (cant remember but its under 100 grains) again with various polys.

Ive fished sage one 2,3 and 4 weight trout speys with rio skagit short heads with various sink tips.

After a week long fishing trip i swung streamers with my 9 ft 5 weight sage igniter,rio gold,between hatches,i done well,,but i knew a different method would have been easier.

So yesterday i decided i need a spare spool dedicated for such times swinging and stripping streamers.
I made the pilgrimage to the store and came home with 200 grain opst smooth inergrated,1 7.5ft and 1 5ft run series opst tip,and a spool of trouthunter 1x fluoro tippet.

I ll hopefully test it today,im curious how thing will go on the fast singlehander.

My prefefed casts are snap t and perrypoke.

Good thread.
Snap T and the Perry poke are not really casts... they are just the layups used to get the line and more importantly the fly to where it needs to be, to perform essentially, a single Spey cast?

Cheers and beers,
Luke.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A forum and discussions on Skagit in the GL region, I really look forward to learning more here. Thanks for starting it!
All one needs to do is to: start a New Thread - Title it Great Lakes Skagit etc. and then make the post. Currently we need growth in the 2 hand forums before we confuse matters by adding regional sub categories. The GL guys will key in on the thread I'm sure.While I'm at it I'll mention this too, I'd advise against mentioning specific creeks or river fisheries because many people read us as a result of a google search. I believe your favorite fishery has enough pressure already correct?