Well that's pretty much it for 2020 CA shutdown

tcorfey

Reaction score
Well I planned to take the end of the year off and do some steelheading but, now all of CA is on a stay at home order.
It is a misdemeanor (fine) to leave your county unless you are traveling for essential services. If you do leave your county you are supposed to quarantine.
I guess almost all available hospital beds are taken so we are back to stricter restrictions.
I might hit the bay for some stripers or just go to the local casting pond but we shall see.
Hoping for a better 2021.

dswice

Reaction score
Well I planned to take the end of the year off and do some steelheading but, now all of CA is on a stay at home order.
It is a misdemeanor (fine) to leave your county unless you are traveling for essential services. If you do leave your county you are supposed to quarantine.
I guess almost all available hospital beds are taken so we are back to stricter restrictions.
I might hit the bay for some stripers or just go to the local casting pond but we shall see.
Hoping for a better 2021.
Stay safe tcorfey. Seems like most of CA is going through a rough time right now with C-19. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas, a healthy and Happy New Year, and many tight lines in 2021.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
My wife and I cancelled our plans to drive out this year to spend the holidays with our oldest sons family and our grandsons. Too much uncertainty about what we may have encountered along the way and when we arrive in CA.

Tcorfey, I hope you all can still manage a joyous and blessed Christmas! Stay safe! Perhaps the New Year will improve this situation. :)

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Funny. I'm in LA County. I'm not sure what the rules are. News just has talking heads 24/7 nonstop c19. Everyone is burnt out not listening. Nothing different here than anytime since C19 March shutdowns. Malls are full. Traffic is heavy. No one is staying home because they are all driving too slowly in front of me! Mammoth mtn is open to ski but the reservation places and air bnb are shut down. Somehow Mammoth is packed and people are skiing. Where are they sleeping and how are they getting reservations is beyond me. It's lie when I was a kid I knew all the shops who would give you a fake smog certificate. Today I just look like a narc. I could not get a fake smog cert if I offered $10,000!

falcon53

Reaction score
Is the Governor staying home? Or is he going out to get a $500 haircut and a meal at a nice restaurant. That seems to be their normal behavior. Not much different in PA. Many of these Elected officials get caught breaking their protocols usually the day before they change the rules. Their response is "I apologize or I was set up". I get the rules and restrictions but have a jaded opinion of these people.

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
My son lives up near San Francisco, in Danville, and some of the residents there that own restaurants have become dissidents from what we've heard, refusing to close their businesses and outside dining areas. I was just reading about some of the same type of thing going on in N. Korea with restrictions of their citizens! Doesn't seem like this can happen in America, but is sure is!

We've flown out the past 3 years, but wouldn't take the chance on doing that at our age. We've been to several of the restaurants in that town, and there's no good reason why folks can't dine outside, as many were already set up for it. No matter what restrictions they place on people, there's going to be some that won't follow common sense, and there's no way to legislate stupid. The governor out there is proving that himself with his do as I say, but not as I do antics!

Fortunately, my son and his wife are both able to work from home with their jobs, and did that frequently before this all started. It's harder on the grandsons, not being able to see family or friends as they've done in the past.

With the crazy stuff going on out there and seems many other places, our fear was we would get to CA, and they wouldn't let us enter the state. Then it's not like we could just turn around and go home for the night. So, we thought it best to wait to a better time. You all try to stay safe!

fatbillybob

Reaction score
With the crazy stuff going on out there and seems many other places, our fear was we would get to CA, and they wouldn't let us enter the state. Then it's not like we could just turn around and go home for the night. So, we thought it best to wait to a better time. You all try to stay safe!
Somehow the planes are safe with you shoulder to shoulder with stranger but outdoor dining is illegal!!! People are not getting sick from p;ane travel nor are the plane flight crew. A guy with covid even died on a plane a day ago and the talking heads said everyone on the plane will be just fine!!! So whoever has the most money makes the rules as usual. Nothing new here...

proheli

Reaction score
Don't even have to have a mask at the grocery store here. My folks are in Portland, I know the whole left coast is out of control. I still love California even though the last 30 years have been hard on her.

yikes

Reaction score
You can track daily reports of rate of transmission at rt.live. California is in the top 3 states (OK and ME being the others).
We've had few friend get it down here in LA area, but everybody I know has tried to limit contact.
Meanwhile, on my Idaho side of the family, nearly all my relatives got it. My brother attended a church service where someone was asymptomatic but later tested positive. By then it was too late. Many in the church came down with it and passed it along to the rest of the family. My relatives all had different symptoms: fever, the runs, headache, cough. For my brother, he had a hacking cough, so he was taking cough medicine, which made him drowsy, which made him want to lay in bed all day. By day 10 and with no improvement, he heard that getting up and walking around would help, so he stopped the cough medicine, forced himself out of bed, and within a day he started to improve.
By the time Thanksgiving rolled around, everyone had recovered, except one in-law who still hadn't recovered their sense of taste.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Mutations are what make the virus a moving target.
Covid could stay ahead of vaccine manufacturing.
It's already starting.........
3 million fatalities could be just the start.
Noticed the UK is closed this morn.
The new mutation has gotten away already, so It will be coming our way.
Don't plan to travel this year either.

Jim

Last edited:

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
I could walk to the river from my house, I'm not.
My gal is slated for her first vaccination this afternoon. So my Christmas wish has come true. For me, made it this far and I'm not quitting now, I can hang with it for a few more months if need be.

Here's to Pat Benatar.
"Hit Me With Your Best Shot....Pfizer Away"

el jefe

Reaction score
Had no idea so many public health experts were fly fishers.
Neither are the meteorologists on The Weather Channel or the sportscasters on ESPN, but we hear about Covid from all of them.

You don't have to a "public health expert" to have an informed viewpoint. And let's not pretend the public health folks have been expert about all of this. They got some things very wrong on this deal. As for the politicians...:rolleyes: