Wet wading while backpacking Tips

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Good Morning

I have a 8 day backpacking trip coming up in a couple of weeks and need a strategy for wet wading and stream crossings. Keeping weight down is an imperative and I need a shoe type that I can carry with and put on quickly when i need to ford a stream or we want to stop and fish a stretch of water.

A couple of questions......Should i just carry a spare pair of lightweight mesh tennis shoes that will dry quickly after use and hang them from my pack? Anybody here use wet wading sandals? And do they get rocks in them?
What do you guys and gals use? If anyone has any ideas or experience doing this I would be appreciative

Kev

caddis75

Reaction score
On may last trip I used altra's and when in camp I changed my socks out, put empty breadbags on my feet, then back in the loose shoes around camp. Works fine. For stream crossings, it's hard to avoid getting wet. Although, I am a pretty light packer, so I prefer not to carry an extra pair of shoes.

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
So I paddle and got a lace up pair of lightweight quick drying Salomon water shoes, very similar to some on his list. https://kayakguru.com/water-shoes-kayaking/
I am a weight nazi when I backpack so I feel you on this. Obviously Simms has some newer lightweight offerings in wading boots/shoes but I'm not exactly sure how "lightweight" they are in comparison to a pair of water shoes nor how they line up in terms of price. Last, depending on what other activities you do outdoors, wading shoes vice water shoes might make more sense.

jwbowen

Reaction score
Are you just crossing streams or will you be fishing up streams? I have some rip raps I used occasionally
and they fill with sand and rock. I usually prefer a little ankle support if I am in a stream with boulders. If
I were just backpacking and concerned with keeping feet dry, I would just pack a light sandal to throw on
during crossings.

k_e_v

Reaction score
Are you just crossing streams or will you be fishing up streams? I have some rip raps I used occasionally
and they fill with sand and rock. I usually prefer a little ankle support if I am in a stream with boulders. If
I were just backpacking and concerned with keeping feet dry, I would just pack a light sandal to throw on
during crossings.
We will be doing quite a bit of daily stream fishing. Most I think will be from the bank as the streams are quite small but at least 4 days will be along a major river where getting in to access fishing spots will be required.

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Are you fishing from a single base camp? You could wade in your hiking boots. Change socks for the hike back, I find this an option (plus a sandal).

k_e_v

Reaction score
Are you fishing from a single base camp? You could wade in your hiking boots. Change socks for the hike back, I find this an option (plus a sandal).
No base camp. Covering 8-10 miles per day with fishing thrown in as an excuse when the hiking gets hard and I need a break🤣. I don’t want to hike all day with wet feet but I can’t see the sandals as a viable option because of getting rocks caught in there. I have been careful with my pack weight So maybe I just add a pair of lightweight, quick drying shoes to the outside of my pack and call it good

trev

Reaction score
Can you hike in a quick drying shoe?
The mesh sneakers sound like they could do both.
I guess I move my feet about as much wading as I would hiking so I'd probably look for a wading shoe that I could hike in. Sandals are better for hiking than for wading and best for at home use.

proheli

Reaction score
For that many miles I wouldnt get my main shoes wet. I’d bite the bullet and carry some light shoes I could wet wade in. Sandals and other water shoes def get gravel and sand in them. It’s no big deal if you were just crossing a stream or river, but you don’t want to spend hours each day walking with gravel in your shoes.

tcorfey

Reaction score
KEV you might pm Darkshadow, he was recently stating that he was happy with a new canyoneering boot from Addas called the outdoor Men's Terrex Hydro_Lace I believe. But he can correct me if I am wrong. I was thinking of looking into these myself.

Personally when backpacking and fishing I use a Hiking boot for hiking and a water shoe either the older version rip=rap from Simms or the HYRB-800 HYBRID HIGH-TOP RUBBER SOLED BOOT boot from Chota.

On a whim I looked at the recommendations from Amazon (pointed to it from a canyoneering website) two products stood out to me the Astral Rassler 2.0 Outdoor Minimalist Shoes, Grippy and Lightweight, Made for Whitewater, Canyoneering, Fly Fishing, and Travel and the Astral, Men's TR1 Merge Minimalist Hiking Boots, Quick Drying and Lightweight, Made for Camping and Backpacking.

Last edited:

k_e_v

Reaction score
For that many miles I wouldnt get my main shoes wet. I’d bite the bullet and carry some light shoes I could wet wade in. Sandals and other water shoes def get gravel and sand in them. It’s no big deal if you were just crossing a stream or river, but you don’t want to spend hours each day walking with gravel in your shoes.
This is where I am leaning. I have kept the weight down so a couple of extra ounces shouldn’t be too bad

thanks everyone for the thoughts and Tcorfrey for the links

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Should i just carry a spare pair of lightweight mesh tennis shoes that will dry quickly after use and hang them from my pack? Anybody here use wet wading sandals? And do they get rocks in them?
What do you guys and gals use? If anyone has any ideas or experience doing this I would be appreciative
Gumboots?

I know the objection of weight will come up, but consider this guy. He wore gumboots if he thought his feet might get wet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Young_(athlete)

stanbiker

Reaction score
If you hike in trail runners, they dry quickly even with steam crossings, just don't get the gore-tex version. They won't dry until you get home. I don't even bring camp shoes anymore, as the trail runners are so much more comfortable than boots.