Wf & dt

dennis7490

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was trying a sharpe's 7' 4wt. that is ??? years old left to me by a friend. I think he made it from a blank, but on the tube is a sticker (his) that says 4wt. I didn't have a 4wt. so i used a WF #3. It did okay up to about 25'. Is a WF #3 the same as a DT #4? I heard that once. So, if i got a 4 wt. would the rod perform better?
Obviously this is not going to be a distance rod, but just curious.
Also, when held out horizontally the tip drops down a bit from its own weight. What does that mean?

Thanks,

Dennis

rockriver

Reaction score
I'd try a DT4 line on it. What I've seen is a WF3 is not the same as a DT4. I'd flip the rod over when held out horizontally to see if it dips down than. Does the rod have a set in it from being stood in a corner?

redietz

Reaction score
At 25 feet a WF and a DT (of the same line) are identical. The difference comes after about 35 feet or so. No, a WF 3 is not the same as a DT 4.

I've got a Sharpe's that's marked as 6 weight, but in my hands it's a 4, and I suspect that someone who likes a faster feel might like it with a 3. Tastes in what feels right for a rod have changed over the years.

Does the tip dip down only when there's line going through it? That's normal. It shouldn't sag under it's own weight otherwise, unless it's a very fine tip.

dennis7490

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the advice.
The rod was kept in a tube. I have no idea how old it is, but I do know that it was fished a lot. It was left to me, but I would guess in the 30 year category.
It drops down at the tip about 1/2" from its own weight, not with a line on it.
Thanks,
Dennis

dennis7490

Reaction score
P.S.
The rod has two tips, and they both droop about the same.
It is a very delicate rod, with a soft, slow action.

old timer

Reaction score
You went the wrong way. Rods used to be marked as 4/5 wt. What that meant was a DT 4wt or WF 5 wt.

I agree with trying a DT 4 wt.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Dennis, one big difference between Bamboo and other rod materials is the mass of the rod, the rod is solid in Bamboo (usually) with some excellent hollow-builts being made. If both of your tips look the same then you are good. Sometimes if a bamboo rod is fought hard against a strong fish or if heavy nymphs are fished deep for a long time the rod will develop a "set" that is a more than casual bend in the tip. This can usually be fixed by a competent bamboo repair person or even your self if you have the time and the patience. There are lots of write ups on how to remove a "set" so I will not repeat any here, besides it sounds like your rod is fine. As many have said if you are casting no farther than 35 to 40' assuming a 9-10' leader than you will not notice the difference between a WF or a DT line.

For wf lines the front taper extends to 30' and on long belly wf lines 45' after that the line has a rear taper to the running line.
For DT lines both ends of the line are the same so after the front taper ends the lines stays the same diameter till it reaches the next front taper.
A DT line can swap ends if one of the ends gets damaged. A WF line cannot do that.
There are very few lines that come in both DT and WF Cortland has some and if they do there is no difference in the first 30' or so between the two types of lines.

As far as what line to use on your rod Bamboo rods are known to be very flexible in that regard, many older rods never had a line designation and the fisherman decided what was best for himself. If you go to a lighter weight line the rod will be faster, if you go to a heavier weight line the rod will bend more and be slower. 4wt might be just what the original owner thought was best but feel free to experiment and find what is best for you.

I believe the Sharpes rods were impregnated like many of the Orvis rods, if so it should last a very long time and be very durable.

Here is a link to some info you may find useful:
Sharpe's of Aberdeen History of Sharpe's

tcorfey

Reaction score
Trev,

Some people believe that a if you keep in the air more than 30' of line using a DT3 (lets say 40-50') than you are carrying as much weight as a WF4 which has a lighter running line than the DT after the first 30'.

So if you are currently using a WF4 line and making 50' casts and you find the need to make on the water mends but the thin running line is hindering you from making a proper mend then using a DT3 line will get you a better mend while still keeping the same weight in the air due to it's thicker running line. At least that is the theory as I understand it.

trev

Reaction score
I believe that a rod rated for 5wt line must be rated for carrying a full DT, if not the things would be broken all the time and no manufacturer is setting them selves up for that.
I understand going down a weight in DT (or any taper) if casting the full line simply to gain line speed, but I don't believe that is what the labeling implies, not long ago I read on this forum that rods were rated on 30' casts and never rated wrongly.

dennis7490

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thank you all so much! What a wonderful world of information! I have an old Hardy Featherweight that I am going to get fixed by Archuleta's and put a DT 4 on it. And then just enjoy the rod, along with the other 4 bamboo rods my friend left me. This is (for sure) not a rod I would fish much more than 30', or in any kind of wind. I have plenty of those.
Ciao,
Dennis

redietz

Reaction score
You went the wrong way. Rods used to be marked as 4/5 wt. What that meant was a DT 4wt or WF 5 wt.
No. Rods used to be marked something like "HDH or E", meaning a DT "D" (something similar to a modern 6) or a level "E" (something like a modern 5). When rods were marked 4/5, it simply meant they would cast both weights well, it had nothing to do with DT/WF, which are the same at 30 feet in which line weights are measured.

old timer

Reaction score
I don't agree with your last statement. Orvis used to mark rods with 4/5 and it meant just what I said. The other markings you mentioned are way back before plastic lines.

I've fished bamboo since the 40's. I'm familiar with rod/line markings.

trev

Reaction score
I'm familiar with rod/line markings.
So, what lines am I meant to use on a rod marked "AFTMA Fly Line 7-8-9"?

If one is DT and the other WF, what is the third line? And how am I to know this?

old timer

Reaction score
Do you have a rod marked like that? I'd ask the rod maker what they have in mind with those ratings.