What’s your favorite fly fishing pack?

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
As I get out to fish more I felt like I needed a smaller pack, something that carries all the essentials of the Wasatch pack vest, which is great,, but a grab and go bag for when I've just got a couple of hours to fish a nearby, easy access, well known spot. I decided on the Lodgepole bag, also by Fishpond
Lodgepole Satchel
Just throw it over your shoulder and go. It is about the size of a small day pack and in addition to nippers, hemostat, floatant , tippet, leader wallet and a small box of flies, it holds a wading jacket, couple bottles of water, lunch snacks and cell phone. It comes with an adjustable waist strap which holds the bag in place as you pick your way up a freestone stream for a couple of hours while keeping everything easily accessible. I think Simms made a version of this bag as well a while ago.lpfs-e_v2.jpg

Last edited:

boisker

Reaction score
I use a Patagonia stormfront rolltop if I need to carry waterproofs or for dawn to dusk days on the water..
And Simms dry creek z submersible waist pack for normal use.. I really like the Simms waist pack, it’s great having no weight on the shoulders, net snugged out the way, fully submersible which is crucial as I’m always wading through deep pools. If you have a dodgy shoulder at all, then getting all the weight on to your hips makes for a much improved day out:)

trout stalker

Reaction score
Fishpond Summit Sling Pack is perfect for me for grap and go. Enough room for my basic gear and a couple of reels.

hubby11

Reaction score
I picked up a TFO "hybrid chest pack" from STP that I am pretty happy with. It's basically a sling pack with a small chest pack to hold the essentials. I really wanted a pure sling pack but I am kind of liking the chest pack which kind of opens to be a small work platform when I change flys and tippet. Not a bad system (although the tippet holder is weak).

TFO.jpg

Last edited:

rustneversleeps

Reaction score
I've run vests, chest packs, backpacks, hip packs, and minimalist lanyards. For me personally, a big hip pack has been my go-to. Lately Simms G4 Pro. I think it definitely depends on the person, they all work.

TristianSutton

Reaction score
Umpqua overlook chest pack i have two of them one for trout and one for bass

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Fishpond Water Dance
I have used my hard for 6 years and still no sign of breaking down or failing zippers.
Conveniently wear it at your side and swivel it around to the front during use.

repperson29

Reaction score
I had picked up the new fishpond chest pack this year. The non waterproof one, I think it's called cross current. I absolutely love it, I had been a pretty staunch hip pack kind of guy for a few years but I think I have found the closest thing to perfect pack for me. It's big enough to carry atleast 4 fly boxes (I usually only carry two to be honest) and still have room for all of the extra stuff. My favorite part is the front flip pocket is magnetic so it's super easy access to your flies and floatsnt and whatnot. Also comes in handy when I'm tying on a dropper I can just set the point fly right on that magnetic and it will hold it for me. The net holder also carries a small trout net (brodin firehole I think) to a big steelhead net plus it has a pouch in the back a perfect size for my rain jacket which you always seem to need this year in PA.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
Gone through a load of fly fishing packs & vests over the many years. Lots. Happy with some, not so with others. But, I finally settled on two that for me are the best....most functional and most durable.

Fly Fishing Chest Pack | Free Shipping From Filson | Filson

Fishing Waist Pack | Filson
You can never go wrong with Filson. I love the tin cloth fanny pack, nicely laid out, big fan of tin cloth/oil cloth. How do you decided which of the two fanny packs to use on a given occasion? If it was me I'd roll with the tin cloth bag 100% of the time. Again really nice bags.

coug

Reaction score

tsmervis

Reaction score
I too have had many packs over the years. I really loved the old patagonia waist pack that was made for photographers. Ive had 2 fishpond waist packs, Sage & Orvis also but my favorite is the William Joseph Old School satchel been using it for the last 4 years & I still love it. With all the other packs I had I would always be like i got to try this one & that one but once I got the WJ satchel I dont even want to try others

thumper686

Reaction score
I had picked up the new fishpond chest pack this year. The non waterproof one, I think it's called cross current. I absolutely love it, I had been a pretty staunch hip pack kind of guy for a few years but I think I have found the closest thing to perfect pack for me. It's big enough to carry atleast 4 fly boxes (I usually only carry two to be honest) and still have room for all of the extra stuff. My favorite part is the front flip pocket is magnetic so it's super easy access to your flies and floatsnt and whatnot. Also comes in handy when I'm tying on a dropper I can just set the point fly right on that magnetic and it will hold it for me. The net holder also carries a small trout net (brodin firehole I think) to a big steelhead net plus it has a pouch in the back a perfect size for my rain jacket which you always seem to need this year in PA.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Currently using a vest but I was looking at the fishpond cross current chest pack and was wondering if the chest pack gets in the way when you cast and if it obscures you view when wading across a river, aka looking down where you place your feet.

Reaction score
Currently using a vest but I was looking at the fishpond cross current chest pack and was wondering if the chest pack gets in the way when you cast and if it obscures you view when wading across a river, aka looking down where you place your feet.
I don’t think so. I use the Umpqua pack and it is much bigger and I have never really thought or noticed that it gets in the way or obscures my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Druunkonego

Reaction score
For the past couple years I used a cheap laptop sling bag that was swag from a trade show. It worked great. The shorter handle straps held my net pretty effectively too (never lost it).

Just recently I upgraded (in a pretty big way) to the Fishpond Thunderhead sling. I've only gotten on the water with it twice so far but initial impressions are great. Perfect size. Fully waterproof. Net holster puts the net right where you can easily get to it. It was expensive but I had a bunch of points saved up from one of those online retailers so I saved a bunch when I ordered it.

jwbowen

Reaction score
Zimmerbuilt guide sling in the Summer and their Tailwater for winter fishing. Very simple, very light and the X-pac material
keeps everything dry for all day backcountry wading trips.