What’s your favorite fly fishing pack?

Chefchivo

Reaction score
I just picked up a Simms Freestone ambi sling for shorter trips. I have a Fishpond San Juan I got on clearance for just quick stuff and I have been using a Kifaru Quandary for longer days or hiking in to places. I got the larger of the two slings as I carry camera gear or stuff to cook on the banks with. Hopefully it’ll work out. If not I’ll just keep using my kifaru and San Juan.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am seeking a new vest this spring. What I want is a minimalist strap vest with vertical fly box pockets that ride high for deeper wading. I have thus far only identified one candidate from Patagonia, anyone have a good idea?

1615495859246.png

jwbowen

Reaction score
I am seeking a new vest this spring. What I want is a minimalist strap vest with vertical fly box pockets that ride high for deeper wading. I have thus far only identified one candidate from Patagonia, anyone have a good idea?

View attachment 32547
That is my favorite vest for what you describe. I am going to give this one a try as soon as I can get to water.

Attachments

joelp

Reaction score

View attachment 32547
that is the only vest i use. fits everything i need. for once pata priced an item close to what it's worth. used it all last year highly recommend.

caddis75

Reaction score
This is pretty close to ideal for me, for now-https://www.umpqua.com/zs2-overlook-chest-pack/ I wish the front pack had 1 less pocket, and the rear pack was a little bigger with lash points on the sides. Other than that I really like it. All my flies and tools are right in front of me, and I have a place for lunch and a jacket.

adealarcon

Reaction score
Well Ive switche to packs....

That being said some additional options for vertical style vests from fishpond and simms to add to your list to check out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adealarcon

Reaction score
Well Ive switche to packs....

That being said some additional options for vertical style vests from fishpond and simms to add to your list to check out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

markmark444

Reaction score

View attachment 32547
I have written before that I really like the Meshmaster 2 for a light vest. I wouldn't call it a strap vest but it does have vertical pockets and has been my go to for several years. I did replace the wool patch with industrial Velcro and hang a magnet on the back for my net.

guidegun

Reaction score
I use a LL Bean Rapid River pack for long days on big water where I could be going from nymphs, streamers, and dries. I just acquired a Fishpond Flathead sling for small water fishing where I only need a couple fly boxes. I think I'm going to really like it.

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Just picked up the Fishpond Crosscurrent chest pack. Very well made and thought out. I was worried that it might be too big but it’s not. Plenty of room for anything you need for a full day fishing but not so bulky that it’s cumbersome. Especially like the fact that it goes over your shoulders with padded backpack like straps to spread the weight out. Also has a small pack on back that would fit a light rain jacket and a water bottle.

Hardscrabble

Reaction score
I’ve had the FP Thunderhead for 3 weeks or so. Works out much better than the Switchback that I soaked through twice. Lots of room inside and more attachment points than anyone could possibly use. The only downside is the net holder. Short handled nets like the Brodin Firehole fall out at the slightest provocation. Twice in 10 minutes of moderate laurel busting was enough for me. So I had to buy a new Nomad Emerger which has a handle long enough to stay put. I hate when that happens.

thomasw

Reaction score
For over 25 years I used the filson strap vest -- which sits quite high. But I decided to go with something to hold a bit more and to provide more water protection, as well as to get most tools off of my chest and on my shoulder or back. So I went with the FP thunderhead sling -- here's a snapshot of it this last year... I do like it so far especially for changing flies -- it provides a safety drop for flies when slipped around; but a key to using this sling efficiently is to organize the vast empty compartment into smaller 'grab' bags of stuff for easy sourcing and access.

cutthroat.skook.1 copy.jpg

Last edited:

pati

Reaction score
For over 25 years I used the filson strap vest -- which sits quite high. But I decided to go with something to hold a bit more and to provide more water protection, as well as to get most tools off of my chest and on my shoulder or back. So I went with the FP thunderhead sling -- here's a snapshot of it this last year... I do like it so far especially for changing flies -- it provides a safety drop for flies when slipped around; but a key to using this sling efficiently is to organize the vast empty compartment into smaller 'grab' bags of stuff for easy sourcing and access.

View attachment 33042
If your Filson is no longer wanted, I d happily rid you of it :-D

My pleasure really you don’t even need to say thanks!!!!

Jgill0056

Reaction score
I've got 2 simms waypoint sling packs. I like them qlot.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

pcalitre

Reaction score
I have the Fishpond Thunderhead Submersible Sling Pack and the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack. I love both packs and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

The Thunderhead Sling Pack is what I use when I’m wading deep, need to carry layers or lunch, or if it’s supposed to snow or rain a lot. The disadvantages of this pack are you need to buy an attachment for a water bottle, there are barely any interior pockets so you have to just throw almost everything in the main compartment, and if you use the net slot you can’t use big nets (by big net I mean Fishpond Mid Length Boat Net or bigger) and your net will get caught in branches if you’re fishing somewhere with overhanging branches.

The rest of the time and the pack I’ve been using more lately is the Waderdance Guide Pack. For me, this is the perfect size pack. It fits more fly boxes then you’d ever need for a day on the river, plus plenty of room for split shot, indicators, tippet, leaders, a headlamp, a snack, and a flask. I really like all the compartments in this pack plus it has two big water bottle holders. The only disadvantages of this pack are the main benefits of my sling pack, it’s not waterproof so I can’t wade deep and there’s no room for extra layers or lunch.